10 month old White Leghorn never laid an egg

cooleydooley

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
My 10 month old White Leghorn has yet to lay an egg. She is the only chicken in my lot that lays white eggs (or should be laying white eggs). All the rest have been laying since 20 weeks.

I noticed this week that her comb is not the bright red it had been, kinda a light coral color. I asked my local chicken women and she had not heard of this before and said she will most likely have a short life. I though at first she could be a rooster in disguise but does not look like one. Otherwise she acts normal, is smaller than the rest also but I got them all at the same time. Anyone know why a pullet would never lay?

She's probably just a slow developer. Just as people develop at different rates, so do chickens. I've had a couple of pullets not lay until they were 11 months old.

I have oyster shell out for them and they are on layer pellets. I feed them leftover chicken and scrambled eggs too. 11 months - good to know. I just wondered if she could just be sterile?

Oyster shell will certainly boost calcium, but will not help if the issue is a lack of protein.
So sorry for giving you the wrong info! I always say that oyster shell is good for protein, then I realize its calcium.
barnie.gif
I hope she starts laying soon!!

So sorry for giving you the wrong info! I always say that oyster shell is good for protein, then I realize its calcium.
barnie.gif
I hope she starts laying soon!!

I think we all have one of those things- mine is the whole who is over who in the crossings for RSL/BSL - every time I get it wrong, and it feels wrong as I say it, even though I realize it and then swear I'm going to have it right the next time I try to explain it. EVERY time
he.gif

Last edited:
Yes that is what I have been told...but she is still holding out...going on 11 months. She is the smallest of the flock. I also noticed her comb has gone from a bright red to more of a coral color which someone told me means she's not healthy. I make sure she gets some of everything I feed them as she seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like she's unwell. Check carefully for parasites, which will cause anemia and a pale comb. That wouldn't prevent laying, though. White Leghorns should start producing early, not late. Mary

Back
Top Bottom