10 Week Lavender Orpingtons

tracylynne1973

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
Happy Tuesday! I'm a little impatient and think I may have a a future roo or 2. Bought 2 Lavender Orpingtons and was told pullets. Behavior isn't telling me anything or their faces, but their feathers have me questioning. In my nice little suburban city we're not allowed to have roosters. Below are my 2 10 week olds - Florence & Maxine. The one on the top is Florence & one on the bottom Maxine. In the picture with both F is on the right & M on the left.
91894229-79BC-443D-B4BB-0F7180FFB067.jpeg

2 Lavender Orpingtons and was told pullets. Behavior isn't telling me anything or their faces, but their feathers have me questioning
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Actually it is.. it's saying pullet! :wee

10 weeks is the earliest saddle feathers start to appear. Often by 12 and usually well by 16.. for reference..

1654620317470.png

1654620336787.png

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Actually it is.. it's saying pullet! :wee

10 weeks is the earliest saddle feathers start to appear. Often by 12 and usually well by 16.. for reference..

View attachment 3139724
View attachment 3139725
Very informative! Yes. Aswell as that, the face is showing no signs of being cockerel, and you see nothing personality wise aswell, so thats all a perfectly dead giveaway of pullets.

Thank you! It's weird how they're the same age, from the same hatchery the company I work for buys from, and they look so different from the backside and tailed feathers
Tail feathers come in last as they only grow them once where the rest of the feathers are molted a few times as they grow. So what you are seeing is the tail feathers growing in at different rates on them. Also they may or may not be related.

Thank you! It's weird how they're the same age, from the same hatchery the company I work for buys from, and they look so different from the backside and tailed feathers

Tail feathers come in last as they only grow them once where the rest of the feathers are molted a few times as they grow. So what you are seeing is the tail feathers growing in at different rates on them. Also they may or may not be related.
True! Just interesting. First time chicken mom. The one we're questioning is also a lot quieter. We also have a 10 week old Blue Cochin and 9 week old Blue Australorp. None of them are loud by any means or overly chatty.

Back
Top Bottom