10 week old chick with injured leg

24babychicks

Hatching
Aug 22, 2016
About one week ago, we lost 3 of our 10 week old chicks to something that got into our chicken coop at night. However, we have one that did not die but has been injured pretty badly. She will not move her right leg at all. I am a nurse so I have some medical knowledge but I've never "nursed" a chicken back to good health! Anyway, I can clearly feel that there is no break in the bones in the lower leg. But just below the hip area, there is "knot", I guess we can call it, that I assume is like a bone callus or where a possible break is. The chick does not move her foot at all but will pull her leg toward her body if I stretch it out. When she lays down (which is all she seems to be able to do right now). She stretches the hurt leg straight out in front of her. She is eating and drinking fine. We have her isolated in a chicken house by herself. Our chicks are our pets and we really care for them. If I can help her, I would love to! She's a silver spangled Hamburg and her name is "hamburger". She's my son's favorite chick! Can anyone tell me what I can do to help her?

Leg injuries are fairly common in chickens, and can range from a sprain, a slipped tendon, or a broken bone. Sprains can take a few weeks to heal. If there is limping or not wanting to stand or walk, then confining to a small area such as a dog crate or cage with food and water may be best. Try to leave them close to the flock to remain in the pecking order. Poultry vitamins added to the water can sometimes be benficial. There are many threads about how to help a slipped tendon, which can be from an injury or a bone defect. Let us know how she is getting along, and sorry for your loss.

Here is a picture of how she holds it up closer to her body. I've got her confined to a small chicken house that we usually get out tiny baby chicks in. It's been a week so I guess I was hoping to see a little improvement by now. Would you suggest treating it like a slipped tendon? Or just keep doing what in doing. If she doesn't move it for weeks will she end up losing Range of motion in that leg?

I am out of the country, and can't answer many posts right now. I would put some vitamins including riboflavin into her water or food, and keep her penned to rest the leg.

Back
Top Bottom