11 week old RIR- cockerel or pullet?

My chicks are 11 weeks old and no wattles really to speak of yet, and barely any reddening in only one of the combs. Is that normal of 11 week old RIR's? They may be production reds as they're from a hatchery ordered online through Tractor Supply. The eyes are yellowish but their coloring is pretty stinking red, except for the one with the green tailfeathers. Not sure if they're actual RIR's or production reds (I ordered RIR's but it's anyone's guess if they're actually purebred).

Very true!

RIRs can start crowing a bit later too.

Pictures will help. It is possible that they are not RIRs too. TSC is famous for that
They may be production reds for all I know, but their coloring is most definitely that of RIR's. Very red, blackish red beaks, yellow eyes (so maybe production-I read that RIR's have red eyes? They started out blue but are definitely yellow now). The one has green tailfeathers, the others are mostly the red with a few darker ones.

Will try to get pics up here in the next half hour.

Do they look like these?
My chicks are 11 weeks old and no wattles really to speak of yet, and barely any reddening in only one of the combs. Is that normal of 11 week old RIR's? They may be production reds as they're from a hatchery ordered online through Tractor Supply. The eyes are yellowish but their coloring is pretty stinking red, except for the one with the green tailfeathers. Not sure if they're actual RIR's or production reds (I ordered RIR's but it's anyone's guess if they're actually purebred).

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_081237153_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180422_081237153_LL.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 13
They may be production reds for all I know, but their coloring is most definitely that of RIR's. Very red, blackish red beaks, yellow eyes (so maybe production-I read that RIR's have red eyes? They started out blue but are definitely yellow now). The one has green tailfeathers, the others are mostly the red with a few darker ones.

Will try to get pics up here in the next half hour.
I will be looking for the pictures!

Hello. I am new to backyard chickens and this is my first flock. I have 12 (ordered ten Tractor Supply threw in 2 extra and said I could keep them when I pointed out the error).

The thing is, I can't have roos in city limits on less than 2 acres, and I need to know (I think it's something one could tell pretty definitively by now) if any of my birds are pullets or cockerels. I have one good suspect, but the last thing I want to do is give away a Patrick and find out that "he" is a good layer! :hmm I ordered pullets, but I know it's not 100% accurate.

So I will see if I can number each bird in sharpie on their leg, and post pics of each one and see if any are cockerels so I can rehome them.

Until I get the pics, can people who have RIR's post pictures of their 11 week old cockerels and pullets so I can get an idea? I will post pics as soon as I've got them numbered.

Thanks!
:welcome! I hope that you enjoy this site as much as the rest of us do! I have learned SOOO much from this site, and I hope that you do too!:love
I think that we need some pics though, to determine if the roo is a boy or girl!

Back
Top Bottom