12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
One chick hatched so far! My first ever. This one is a real cutie.
89153CAE-4A5E-459A-B6F7-6102238515A3.jpeg

Can somebody suggest me a good, cheap, incubator? Are there some that can control humidity level?
I would not say $149 is cheap, but the incubator I got at Tractor Supply, Nurture Rite 360, worked for me. The humidity was pretty stable, I think. I hatched 11 of 17, this is the very first time I have ever used an incubator. It looks like a war zone, this is the last duckling hatched.

Attachments

• IMG_6060.JPG
    IMG_6060.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 5
😍😍😍 So beautiful! What breed are they?
Thank you.:) The small chicks are a blend of 2 Old English Game Bantam lines with mixed breed bantams. (Silkie, Faverolle, unknown) The larger chicks are a melding of EEs (Ameraucauna based), Ameraucaunas, Faverolles, Silkie and two Marans roosters; a Black Copper and a Cuckoo. It's always a surprise with these successive generations...lol.

My hatch finished and everyone is all fluffed up now. 😁

I sent in my total just a moment ago. :)

5 silkies hatched out of 8 eggs (2 clears and one quitter at around 7-8 days). I'm not sure why I had a couple non starters but otherwise I am pretty happy with these results.

They are all doing great so far. The first hatched was having some trouble on the paper towels I set down so I removed them and they are all getting around well now. Eating and drinking already! I was really happy with how well they hatched, from the first hatched to the last was only 16 hours and they are all perky with perfectly sealed navels. 😊

View attachment 2608794
View attachment 2608795
They're so adorable. 💞

So, I said when I set my eggs for this hatchalong that they were humongous compared to the bantams I've been hatching lately and the babies were going to be HUGE. No joke, this little one seems gigantic to me for a day-old chick after all the tinies I've been hatching!

I got this picture of her today in the little dish I use to feed my hatchlings

View attachment 2608918

I was comparing that picture to pictures of my Old English Game bantam babies back in February and, WOW, what a size difference! :eek:

View attachment 2608919

Maybe it really has been too long since I hatched large fowl chicks :gig
They're cute! Yep, bigger, and ya know, it's warm weather now..you really could hatch again.

One chick hatched so far! My first ever. This one is a real cutie.
View attachment 2609110
I think they're precious. ♥️

So, I said when I set my eggs for this hatchalong that they were humongous compared to the bantams I've been hatching lately and the babies were going to be HUGE. No joke, this little one seems gigantic to me for a day-old chick after all the tinies I've been hatching!

I got this picture of her today in the little dish I use to feed my hatchlings

View attachment 2608918

I was comparing that picture to pictures of my Old English Game bantam babies back in February and, WOW, what a size difference! :eek:

View attachment 2608919

Maybe it really has been too long since I hatched large fowl chicks :gig
Cute! Yep, bigger. And yes, you should hatch again. :pop

Welcome!

full

Welcome to the 12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

It's that time again! Every year, many members come together to set eggs to hatch on the exact same day - the day BEFORE Easter. As a group last year we had 3173 eggs set for hatching! If you are new to hatching, this is a great way to get a lot of help, tips, and advice. Join in the fun for the largest BYC Hatch-Along of the year!

Set Chicken eggs on Saturday, March 13th at Noon (whatever time zone you are in). Other poultry breed setting dates listed in the table below:
Type of EggDays to HatchSet Dates
Emu49 - 55February 7 to February 13
Muscovy duck35February 27
Goose28 - 32March 2 to March 6
Pheasant22 - 29March 5 to March 12
Mallard (derived) duck, goose,28March 6
Turkey, Guinea, Peafowl28March 6
Call duck and other bantam ducks26March 8
Bobwhite quail23March 11
Seramas other small bantams19 - 21March 13 to March 15
Chickens21March 13
Pigeons17 - 19March 15 to March 17
Coturnix quail18March 16
Doves14 - 16March 18 to March 20
Button quail16March 18

To join the hatch-along, simply post in this thread that you wish to enter and we will add you! Set dates for each type of domestic fowl are listed above.

This thread is our main chat thread for the hatch-along where you can find anything from new friends, awesome incubation help, to the most detailed educational discussions possible, and how could we forget the laughter and fun!

This post of the hatch-along will be updated as we move along with all the important information you will need, but if you find yourself with a question, just post it on the thread, everyone is helpful!

All of the contests are held in separate threads. To enter each contest you must visit each contest thread, read the rules, and enter the contest.

If you end up not setting any eggs, please let us know! It makes it easier for our record keeping and we don't have to try to track you down!

Places to find hatching eggs:

Incubation, Hatching, & Baby Chick Threads

Educational hatching articles:

The hatch-along is open to all BYC members.
Staff & VPMs may enter for fun but are not eligible for prizes.
All contest prizes are limited to one per person per contest.
All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)
I would love to join you guys! I'm not far enough along with my chickens to have eggs for incubation. Maybe next year!! Good luck to all of you that are able!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom