13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried Meyer Hatchery? They’re very reasonably priced and my quail eggs were packed remarkably well.
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/Turkeys-c39791181
I've bought some of my egg-laying flock and meat birds from Meyer and they do seem to do a great job with packing and such. Just ordered meat birds from McMurray and they also did a great job.

I try to put some fun colors in every carton and surprisingly the ones I've struggled to get good hatching eggs from have been the expensive hard-to-find breeds and special egg colors and speckles from breeders that offer those types of eggs.

IMG_3088.JPG

I dealt with the non-hatchers.

One had clearly been dead for quite a while -- still very small. My notes for the 14 day candling say "lots of veins" with no movement noted.

The other two came very close to hatching. One seemed quite normal but had simply died without absorbing it's yolk. The other had a mass of some kind in the region of it's belly. I'm still too ill to have the energy to investigate deeply, but here are photos under a spoiler tag.

Poor little alien baby!
0421221314a.jpg

So close! But no internal pip.
0421221312.jpg

Two photos, to better show the odd mass. I'd have definitely investigated more closely if I'd been feeling better.
0421221313.jpg

0421221314.jpg

I left the chicks in the woods for the wildlife. It seems the least wasteful way to deal with them.

Most chipmunk colored chicks can be sexed....... at least brown leghorns can..

I think it translates to all chicks with that down pattern.

I tried to say that the other day and someone got all over me. But it's true in my experience as well.

I should have Pavlovskaya babies today. 5 of 5 eggs have pipped and 5 more go into lockdown tomorrow.

Live stream if interested. We have a zipper right now:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom