16 + week old; Any information welcome!

Black ameraucana cockerel. He looks unhealthy, you might want to observe him closely to make sure he’s acting normal.
Thanks for your input - i'd love to learn from you: what makes him look unhealthy? This stature has been normal since week one. He's very friendly - always runs up to humans and likes being pet. Normal poop/appetite. Darn thing hasn't made a peep though! Tail never held high.

Thanks for your input - i'd love to learn from you: what makes him look unhealthy? This stature has been normal since week one. He's very friendly - always runs up to humans and likes being pet. Normal poop/appetite. Darn thing hasn't made a peep though! Tail never held high.
His crouched posture, very pale/shriveled comb (not normal for a cockerel), hunched in neck, drooping tail, and loosely held wings (they should come to a point at the end). Has he always looked and behaved like this?

His crouched posture, very pale/shriveled comb (not normal for a cockerel), hunched in neck, drooping tail, and loosely held wings (they should come to a point at the end). Has he always looked and behaved like this?
Yes - always looked and behaved the same way. Just before posting here, I sent a pic of 'him' to the farmer from whom the egg was acquired and the farmer said he thought this bird looks like a pullet. That is why I'm thoroughly confused. I see a few pointy saddle feathers, but certainly not a cascade. There are two sickle feathers, but the tail is never held high. The comb is pale, small. This bird has been fed a balanced diet, clean water every day, coop cleaned out every day, mite/lice/flea treatment provided, diatomaceous earth for dust baths provided, diet supplemented with probiotics - all the nutty stuff that seems to work well and keep birds healthy. All input welcome and I thank you!

Yes - always looked and behaved the same way. Just before posting here, I sent a pic of 'him' to the farmer from whom the egg was acquired and the farmer said he thought this bird looks like a pullet. That is why I'm thoroughly confused. I see a few pointy saddle feathers, but certainly not a cascade. There are two sickle feathers, but the tail is never held high. The comb is pale, small. This bird has been fed a balanced diet, clean water every day, coop cleaned out every day, mite/lice/flea treatment provided, diatomaceous earth for dust baths provided, diet supplemented with probiotics - all the nutty stuff that seems to work well and keep birds healthy. All input welcome and I thank you!
The farmer probably said that because he has no sort of cockerel stance and his comb is small and pale, which I think is an indication of poor health.
You could check his crop every night to make sure it’s full, and check it in the morning to make sure it emptied out. If he doesn’t start to look and behave like a cockerel, I would start a separate thread about it in the injuries/disease forum.

Back
Top Bottom