18 month Khaki's moved, stopped laying

Great idea, I'll get some meal worms. Also have a ton of red worms in the compost, which they love, but they won't rattle when shook in a container!

We got an egg!!! They layed it in their 'swimming pool' (concrete mixing trough) this morning so I didn't see it until I changed the water this evening. Can't wait to eat it.

Only took 2 people to herd them into the coop tonight (3 last night). This is going to be interesting, as they are so full from eating worms and grubs and mulberries and etc all day on our farm that they are not even interested in their layer feed, which I withhold during the day to tempt them back to the coop.

Thanks for all your help.

This is a little off topic but I'll try to keep it brief:
Last week one of our ducks got attacked by a VERY large rat snake. When I found her (after hearing the commotion) the snake had wrapped around her and was starting to constrict. I kicked the snake off (many kicks, sore hamstrings!) and the duck is fine. I have not seen the snake again.
However, now we are going on vacation and are concerned about leaving the ducks here while someone will only be by to feed and water them. We're considering taking them to a friend's coop with 12 other ducks (Runners). Questions:
- are they likely to integrate easily with these other ducks? (ours are about 2 years, the Runners are about 6 months)
- what is the best time of the day to move them?

Any other advice much appreciated!

If there is a way to separate the coop and run with temp fence it will work but taking 2 separate groups of ducks and putting them together with out giving them time to live side by side for a while can cause problems. Fighting, bullying etc. If possible I'd take them over about a week before you leave and let them live side by side with fencing between them let them get to know each other first.

Boy that was a close call with the snake any way to reinforce your pen to keep them out? Hardware cloth half inch?

Back
Top Bottom