18 Speckled Sussex Chicks just received!:)

Welcome back! And SS are a real favorite here, they should be a lot of fun. Beautiful, friendly birds. We had mixed success with the cockerels though. half were fine, and half were human aggressive. Hope yours are going to be nicer!
Pictures, keep posting pictures! Wish they were here...
Mary

Welcome back! And SS are a real favorite here, they should be a lot of fun. Beautiful, friendly birds. We had mixed success with the cockerels though. half were fine, and half were human aggressive. Hope yours are going to be nicer!
Pictures, keep posting pictures! Wish they were here...
Mary
Hi Mary! I started out with Speckled Sussex for my first flock when I was just 12 years old and I got so attached to them. Unfortunately, not a year later, a predator got into the coop and massacred all but I believe 3 hens. So this is my restart with SS because over all of the other breeds I have had I am partial to them! I am crossing my fingers that I get a good rooster out of the 2 I ordered. The other will be either rehomed or harvested depending on the temperament. Here's some more pics!
This little one was so tired after the 3 day journey to us 😌..
lonechicksleeping.jpeg

And these guys went into a food coma after I introduced them to crumbles...
foodcomachicks.jpeg

Yay! :celebrate

Yeah, we felt so bad for the PO people when we went to pick up our box of chicks, the cheeping from the back room was at cacophony levels. When she handed me our small box it didn't make a dent in the noise level. When I expressed sympathy, she said they have chicks coming through every day and they get used to it. But her face said "please hurry away now".

Thank you for helping preserve our freedom 🥰

Yay! :celebrate

Yeah, we felt so bad for the PO people when we went to pick up our box of chicks, the cheeping from the back room was at cacophony levels. When she handed me our small box it didn't make a dent in the noise level. When I expressed sympathy, she said they have chicks coming through every day and they get used to it. But her face said "please hurry away now".

Thank you for helping preserve our freedom 🥰
Haha that's a great phrase to describe the level of noise just a small box full of chicks can make! Thankfully mine came in early in the morning and the worker offered to allow me to come before opening to get them. Thank you!

Hey everyone! It's been a little over two weeks and all 17 chicks are doing amazing! Unfortunately there was one casualty on day three for semi-unknown reasons, but I suspect the chick had not formed correctly in the egg. I had a respectful funeral for the little girl and buried her next to a stream right beside the coop. Moving forward, I have been spending quite a bit of time with the rest of the babies who are now super "awkward middle schooler" looking and half way feathered. I'm giving them fresh water and chick starter/ grower along with taking them outside to their "playground". It's been raining almost everyday here for the past week so I haven't been able to let them out as much as I want to but this weekend is supposed to be bright, sunny, and a warm 89 degrees so they're gonna have some fun! Here are some pictures I got of their first time outside..
facing chick cropped pic.jpeg
cropped outside chick pic.jpeg
image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Attachments

• image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom