19 weeks! Finishing up purina starter grower

I'll be switching from Purina Start And Grow Medicated to Purina All Flock. I like its 20% protein over Layena's 16%, and offering oyster shell on the side. I have dual purpose birds (SLW) so I don't want to chance insufficient protein to help avoid feather picking and egg eating.

Layer is for actively laying birds. Get another bag of what you’ve been using until they start laying regularly.

I would disagree with this. Most chickens start laying around 20-25 weeks, starting layer food just a couple weeks early won't hurt. Or you could feed an all flock for the protein and provide oyster shell on the side. I would start that now too. You want to make sure you provide enough calcium for any birds that start laying.

I would disagree with this. Most chickens start laying around 20-25 weeks, starting layer food just a couple weeks early won't hurt. Or you could feed an all flock for the protein and provide oyster shell on the side. I would start that now too. You want to make sure you provide enough calcium for any birds that start laying.
Need to consider time of year. With the shorter daylight hours. I’ve got birds that were hatched in April and May that aren’t laying yet. There’s not enough daylight hours. I’m guessing late December or Spring before I see eggs. I feed all flock and offer oyster shell because I have roos and chicks. I don’t feed layer because of non laying birds.

I never thought of the all flock feed I am concerned about them not laying yet..this probably what I will do and offer calcium as well
You can get Non-medicated Start and Grow feed too. Available at my TSC. When I only had 3 hens I was happy I could get a 25 pound bag. I had a 40 pound bag of feed go bad at 5 months past mill date. I offer Oyster Shells separately. GC

Back
Top Bottom