1yr old Rooster found dead

redneckchic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Northern California
I was so sad to go out and find my 1yr old BLRW Roo dead in the chicken barn today. He hasn't shown any signs of illness or weird behavior. Last week I found my little D'Duccle Cockrell dead in the coop (seperate pen from the BLRW) he was upsidedown under the perch, in a perched position like he died in his sleep and fell off the perch. He also showed no signs of illness and I thought maybe it was just a fluke, sometimes these things happen. Now finding my BLRW Roo dead im not so sure. He was face down with legs behind him, as if he "fainted" face first. No signs of predator or injury from the other Rooster. Any input is greatly appreciated. :(

I have had to get rid of 7 freindly pet bird after finding then laying in nesting box dead laying in coop dead under purch dead.. only thing iv concluded is that the died peicefully quickly and relaxed from their max age being however they were ment to live some being less than year old, and not getting ripped open and running in fear their final moments

So sorry for your loss! It's so hard to know sometimes.

We had a healthy, six month old cockerel die mysteriously when out free ranging with the others. When we found him, he looked as though he fell over backward, and was sleeping. His wings were still tucked in, so he hadn't attempted correcting himself. His feet looked like they stretched toward the ground- as if he passed while still upright. There were no obvious predator issues, and he only lost a few feathers right on the site. We found no damage other than an inner blood clot on his neck, near his head. The best we could figure was blood clot. Hopefully your issues are just coincidences. Best to you!

The 1st one was roosting when it died, the one I found today was not... he was just flopped over dead in the barn. I know it could be a strange coincidence, expecially since none of the others are acting strange. I went ahead and dosed the waterers with antibiotics though, just incase. I guess well see what happens I just hate to have others die if I could prevent it. Is there anything I should check the body for? He looked okay, other than being dead! Should I complete clean out the Barn and other coop & bleach it...??
All input still welcomed, I want to make sure I cover my bases!

Have you checked them all carefully for lice or mites? Are they on a regular deworming program? Have they lost any weight? Internal and external parasites will weaken a bird over time until it eventually dies. Those are the first things I would consider. If those bases are all covered then the only way to know is to have a necropsy done which I would highly suggest since you've had a previous unexlained death. Here in CA you can get free necropsy done by the state poultry labs. This is a comprehensive necropsy and they will test for everything under the sun. Here is their web address with locations etc. www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm

Some just die like that. He might have eaten something that cut up his insides but I doubt it since he roosted before croaking. It's sad but it just happens and there is almost nothing you can do about it.

I'm sure he had a happy life.
wink.png

The 1st one was roosting when it died, the one I found today was not... he was just flopped over dead in the barn. I know it could be a strange coincidence, expecially since none of the others are acting strange. I went ahead and dosed the waterers with antibiotics though, just incase. I guess well see what happens I just hate to have others die if I could prevent it. Is there anything I should check the body for? He looked okay, other than being dead! Should I complete clean out the Barn and other coop & bleach it...??
All input still welcomed, I want to make sure I cover my bases!

Back
Top Bottom