2 chicks dead, 2 others look sick

meowtakkun

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2017
I'll try and keep this short. Last week I got some day old OEG banties. A few have had pasty butt. 1 got very weak and weighed nothing. She died that night. I woke up to another dead chick who previously seemed fine. They've been active and eating/drinking fine as far as I've seen. A few of them have had diarrhea that looked orangeish red. I know orange is normal-ish but it was mucusy. I was previously giving them electrolyte water.

Today one was not eating the treats I gave them. She seemed puffed up so I went to the store and bought corid. Rural king gave me 3 replacement chicks out of the same bin I bought from last week. They were all active but I picked out one with pasty butt cause I felt bad. They're drinking corid water now but after I cleaned off the really bad pasty butt she has had droopy wings and stays all fluffed/huddled. Not yet interested in food or water.

I've had 4 sets of baby chicks this year and never had issues like these. Am I treating this issue the right way? Was corid the right action? Is there anything else I can do for them?

I would guess Cocci.
You could mix up a small bath of Corid with water and offer it straight to the beak now along with the water mixture.

I do have a syringe so I will try that. I threw some feed at her feet and I saw her peck at it a little so hopefully she was just chilled from getting wet. Never dealt with cocci before and I don't like it.

Mix 1/2 teaspoon with 2 teaspoons of water and give them each (or the really sick ones) .07 ml or 4 drops for 3 days straight to the mouth. Again..in addition to the water mixture, and be sure to make a new batch each day and make sure this is the ONLY water they have access to.

Cocci is a very simple fix, don't worry...it will be gone before you know it.

Last week I got some day old OEG banties...have had pasty butt...Today one was not eating the treats I gave them. She seemed puffed...I cleaned off the really bad pasty butt she has had droopy wings and stays all fluffed/huddled

I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you post some photos of your brooder set-up, the poop and the chicks?
What type of food and treats are you giving?
Are you providing chick grit (crushed granite) free choice?
What is the temperature of your brooder?
Are you using the same brooder as the other 4sets you had earlier this year?

Having pasty butt, they may be either overheating or too cold. Check your brooder temperature. Ideally you should have ONE warm spot for the chicks, let the rest of the brooder be cool. Place the water and food on the cool side.

Keeping the vents cleared of poop is important. If you are giving anything besides chick starter, make sure they have a source of grit to properly process their food.

Watch to see if they are drinking enough. Giving Corid is fine, it won't hurt them, but with them being so young, it's best to investigate to make sure that their brooder and or feed doesn't need some adjusting as well.

They get medicated feed. No grit and no treats yet. This IS the same brooder setup I've prev used. Except this time I put a box in there so they could get closer to the lamp because they're just so tiny. I have been checking the vents and cleaning them throughout the day. I woke up this morning and another was dead. The sick one I got from RK. I didn't really expect her to make it.

The thermometer says 90. Their water may be too close but I wanted to make sure they were actually drinking. And it needs changed. I literally just woke up.

Attachments

• IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    545.6 KB · Views: 18
Omg yes. Good catch. I just grabbed the first bag I found in the shed. I have some pine too I'll switch them out. That's not why the others died is it?

Back
Top Bottom