2 EE genders? Quite sure Buff Cochin and Cuckoo Marans are pullets.

EmeraldSkye

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 1, 2013
San Jose, California
Greetings,

I have 2 Easter Eggers, a Buff Cochin, and a Cuckoo Marans. I'm pretty sure the BC and the CM are pullets but of course confirmation is always welcome. I'd like to see what you think about my two Easter Eggers.

Here are the pics:

You can tell the two EE apart since one has a black head and one has a red head. The other two breeds are easy too.
big_smile.png

These pics were taken last week when they were 11 weeks old. I can take new pics today and post if you would like. I can also take a video quite easily.

By the way, The red-headed EE is named "Lucille", the black-headed EE is named "Squirrel", the Buff Cochin is "Bella" and the Cuckoo Marans is called "Wild Thing".

Squirrel looks like a hen to me! Lucille is a bit trickier to tell. Do you have any closer up pictures that include her legs? Love your cochin, too! My picture is of my buff cochin, Penny. She is my favorite :)

Last edited:
I was told that the Marans male would be lighter in color than the female and this one looks pretty black, that's why I thought female. However, this came from the same woman who told me that my EEs were Ameraucanas. I'll take fresh pics and videos tomorrow of them all now that I know what kind of pics to take.

I was told that the Marans male would be lighter in color than the female and this one looks pretty black, that's why I thought female. However, this came from the same woman who told me that my EEs were Ameraucanas. I'll take fresh pics and videos tomorrow of them all now that I know what kind of pics to take.

I think you're right on the Marans. I looked up the color genetics of the barred coloring. Your EE's look just like the ones I got from Mc Murray Hatchery last year. They call them Ameraucanas as well. Here's the info:

http://www.hpbaa.com/Genetics.html

Barred:
Barred is a pattern where the white on one feather runs along side the white on the feather beside of it as well as will the other color run beside its color on another feather. It is referred to as the starting & stopping of color. Barred females carry one barring gene while Barred males carry two. This gives the male a light color than the female due to the display of more barring in the male. Barred is a sex-link gene in that you can usually tell them apart at hatch. Black & white Barred is actually the silver gene where silver expresses itself in white. Barred offspring will have a pale yellow/white dot on their head, pale yellow white undercarriage, & wing tips. Male chicks will have more pale yellow on them and the dot on the head will be less circular and stretched down the back of the neck.

Breed Examples: Plymouth Barred Rocks

Here are a couple of pics of my little EE pullet from last year.

Back
Top Bottom