2 Hens, 1 nest - Muscovies

estaswick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
I recently got a trio of muscovy ducks and one drake. I had to leave town right after I got them so put them in with my chickens. When I got back there were 3 eggs scattered around the run. I built a nest box that day and moved the eggs into the box. Next morning there were 5 eggs in the box, so I have 2 birds laying. I built another box and split the eggs up, but now this morning they both laid in the original box. Any way to encourage one of them to move into the other box? If I keep moving eggs will whichever hen doesn't sit on the preferred box set the other? Or should I start pulling half to eat?

I recently got a trio of muscovy ducks and one drake. I had to leave town right after I got them so put them in with my chickens. When I got back there were 3 eggs scattered around the run. I built a nest box that day and moved the eggs into the box. Next morning there were 5 eggs in the box, so I have 2 birds laying. I built another box and split the eggs up, but now this morning they both laid in the original box. Any way to encourage one of them to move into the other box? If I keep moving eggs will whichever hen doesn't sit on the preferred box set the other? Or should I start pulling half to eat?
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like they are building their clutch, which can grow to be pretty big, once one decides to get serious then you can move in and remove any eggs you don't want them to sit or you may end up with 20-25 ducklings. Once they choose a box it's hard to convince them to move. They may even want to share the brooding time. Until one gets serious nothing is developing in the egg so now would be the time to collect but it may keep them laying till they get the clutch where they like it.

I currently have two girls setting on one nest. My third girl just hatched eight but the pair seem content with both on one which has fifteen eggs in it.

i hate when this happens, it usually spells trouble.

i try to persuade them by spiltting the eggs as you have done. doesnt work often. sometimes theyll move the eggs back in! sometimes one will go broody and the other will continue laying the eggs in the same nest under the broody mum until they both try and sit on the same nest. in my experience it ends in zero ducklings hatching.

i now move one duck into a different coop/pen. atleast that way you get one good hatch. the second duck may or may not keep laying and go broody.

good luck.

i hate when this happens, it usually spells trouble.

i try to persuade them by spiltting the eggs as you have done. doesnt work often. sometimes theyll move the eggs back in! sometimes one will go broody and the other will continue laying the eggs in the same nest under the broody mum until they both try and sit on the same nest. in my experience it ends in zero ducklings hatching.

i now move one duck into a different coop/pen. atleast that way you get one good hatch. the second duck may or may not keep laying and go broody.

good luck.

Agreed. Shared nests here have never ended well.

Thanks for the advice. This morning there was a new egg in each box. We will see if the trend continues. Otherwise I will probably separate one duck with the eggs. My wife was curious, if they do ignore the eggs we are separating, how long do we have collect them for eating?

Back
Top Bottom