2 week old chick limping

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
I have a 2 week old chick who is being raised by a broody momma with 7 other chicks. Tonight, when doing my chicken rounds, I noticed it was hobbling on one of her legs. We checked him/her over and didn't see anything. Its leg that seems hurt does not look any different from the other leg. We put it back with momma b/c both were having a fit. It had a hard time climbing the ladder into the coop, but it seemed to settle down after I helped it up.

I am hoping that it just got trampled while out foraging with momma today and that it heals quickly. I did give it about 1/8 of a B complex to help with healing. I am hoping it is not a slipped tendon, although I need to research what that looks like in chicks.

My question is, if it is still hobbling around tomorrow, should I separate it from its broody mates? Mom is a very active forager and the babies are all right there with her as she forages. If I do separate it, should I bring it inside or keep mom and the others in the run with her possibly in a little cage to keep it from being too active? Should I wrap/split it in any fashion or just keep it as immobile as possible? If I do separate it, will mom reject it when/if it heals?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit - they are on non-medicate chick starter - 20% protein. Since it has been so very hot and muggy here, they do get a little watermelon daily - not more than a couple of bites a piece and I give them eggs a couple times a week.

Last edited:
Baby still limping today. Decided to put him/her in a little cage out in the run with the brood. Momma seems to be keeping them all near the one who cannot follow them around. I will move his/her little cage into the coop tonight so that he can be around them at sleep time.

Hoping that being still will help it heal. Will continue to 1/8 tablet of B complex in case it is a nutritional issue.

Pictures of legs attached. It is his/her left leg.

Also, do those look like little rooster spurs on the back of his/her leg?

Any advise appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20230618_142553143.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230618_142553143.MP.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230618_142544190.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230618_142544190.MP.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230618_123013267.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230618_123013267.MP.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230618_123014227.jpg
    PXL_20230618_123014227.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 10
Also, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but I tend to rule out slipped tendon b/c he/she doesn't carry the leg stretched out behind him/her. It sits on the leg fine, just hobbles around on it and has to use its wings when walking. Also has pretty normal sitting position.

We looked this baby over pretty good this evening. We cannot see anything out of place on or near its hock joint. We wrapped the leg in vet wrap and will see if that does anything to help it heal. Gave another 1/8 B complex. Will migrate to 1/4 tomorrow. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Thank you.

It looks like there is a band of redness or bruising on the right foot, or it could be a shadow. B complex is hard to overdose, so I would try for 1/4 tablet daily. I would try to keep the chick with the broody, even if you have to lift it up and down from the roosting area.

Thank you for your advice!

I think that is probably a shadow. The leg that is giving it problems is the left leg. She is pretty calm in her little box and momma is keeping the flock near so I think I will keep her there for a few days. If I let her/him out, I know momma will have her brood foraging around and they get pretty excited when she chases a grasshopper for them. I think she may have gotten trampled in the process of the chase. Tonight, I move the chick and her little cage into the coop with mom and her hatchmates. I put a bunch of straw for the cage to rest on so I think it will be plenty warm with our overnight temp not getting down below 75 degrees. Humidity will make it feel like 80 degrees. Will definitely move to 1/4 tablet of B complex tomorrow.

Hopefully the rest and lack of activity will help her/him.

Little one has been with broody momma and her brood all day. I have to look really close to see which one he/she is. Limp is far less pronounced today. Will keep giving 1/4 tablet Vit B until I see no more limping at all. Thanks for all your help. Here is a picture of the little one. Lots of red in those wattles. I know Australorps put up their manhood early...I hope this one is an exception. DH said he was posturing with a couple on the outside roost this morning. :)

Attachments

• -1325032428964312372.jpg
    -1325032428964312372.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 5
  • -4345914738103162374.jpg
    -4345914738103162374.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom