2 year old goose cannot stand

denco5

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
Ocoee Florida
I have a 2 year old Chinese goose. She started limping about two months ago and now cannot walk or stand. Avian vet said no broken bones and put her on metacam for pain and swelling. After 7 day there are no changes. I noticed that when she sits she is constantly shaking her head or rubbing her head on her body. Could this be a sign? The vet took a stool sample and said no worms detected.

Would a gizzard worm show up in the stool

I tried to post a video of her head movement but it says the video type is not accepted.

Any ideas?

I have a 2 year old Chinese goose. She started limping about two months ago and now cannot walk or stand. Avian vet said no broken bones and put her on metacam for pain and swelling. After 7 day there are no changes. I noticed that when she sits she is constantly shaking her head or rubbing her head on her body. Could this be a sign? The vet took a stool sample and said no worms detected.

Would a gizzard worm show up in the stool

I tried to post a video of her head movement but it says the video type is not accepted.

Any ideas? 

It's been too long for her to have a blocked crop, you can give her electrolytes and niacin?

We tried the Niacin when the limp started to get bad with no positive results. I have just started to add the electrolytes to her water so we will see if it helps. I will add the Niacin back in also, figure it cannot hurt

Thank you for your response.

Dennis

We tried the Niacin when the limp started to get bad with no positive results. I have just started to add the electrolytes to her water so we will see if it helps. I will add the Niacin back in also, figure it cannot hurt

Thank you for your response.

Dennis
Gape worms are in the trachea can she honk? when my rooster had gape worms he lost him voice completely. I'd worm her with safe guard for goats its a liquid or safe Guard horse wormer paste.
Is she eating and pooping normal?
@casportpony can give you dosages.

Last edited:
The amount of Safeguard wormer is use to treat capillary worms and gapeworms is 0.23 ml per pound orally for *5* days in a row. Pretty sure this dose will also treat gizzard worms.

Can you post a picture of it's poop?

-Kathy

Last edited:
The amount of Safeguard wormer is use to treat capillary worms and gapeworms is 0.23 ml per pound orally for I've days in a row. Pretty sure this dose will also treat gizzard worms.

Can you post a picture of it's poop?

-Kathy
@denco5 Thanks Kathy and I believe that's 5 day for treatment.

Thank you all for the responses.

She does honk, quite often actually. She is completely normal other than unable to stand or walk for any amount of time. She does get in the kiddie pool every other day and cleans herself and grooms all day long. We have her penned off from the other geese so she is getting a lot of greens and canned corn for food. I cannot get her to eat any kind of poultry pellets or crumbles.

Her poop is usually vey small amounts and it is creamy white with a slight green color mixed in. She is not eating the normal amount of grass as the others so her poop is different than theirs.

Is it possible for one goose to get worms and my other 4 or my 9 ducks???

I have Ivermectin Paste Dewormer - 6.08g dose @ 1.87% her at my house. Can that be used? it seems similar to the Safe Guard Paste you mentioned

I will try to post a poop picture

Thanks again, I am hopeful we can save her. If she cannot walk getting the needed nutrition will be tough.

I wish my video would load, it shows her moving her head all around as if something is bothering her

This is the poo from my goose his morning. She had eaten some lettuce and corn prior to this so this is a good one compared to most.

You can use Safeguard horse, cattle or goat wormer, liquid or paste, both will work. Ivermectin could be used, but it's not likely to treat anything other than large round worms.

With the ivermectin you have, the max dose would be 0.01 ml per pound orally. Many people give more than that, but that's what one of my books says. :D

Can you place a bowl,of food and water in from of her?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom