2 year old Welsummer legs not working

Don’t give up on trying to tempt her to eat and drink. I will try tempting foods, and always add a little water for more fluids. Tube feeding could be done, and it is easy once you learn if interested. If you lose her, it would be good to have your state vet perform a necropsy and testing to determine what was wrong. I hope she perks up and starts eating. Let us know how she is doing.

Molting is sometimes hard on chickens. When I have seen a sick bird in my flock, it has always been during molting or during the coldest winter days. Mareks vaccines are not 100% foolproof. They cannstill develop it if exposed to a carrier. I once had a vaccinated hen who lost the ability to walk without falling backward or to the side for about 5 weeks. She did not have Mareks, but I had to feed her twice a day with mushy wet chicken feed, plain yogurt and egg, and tempt her with some tuna and sprinkle some dry crunmbles. She died 2 years after her recovery, and her necropsy showed internal laying. We never knew for sure what caused her problem. Hopefully, your chicken will recover.
Don’t give up on trying to tempt her to eat and drink. I will try tempting foods, and always add a little water for more fluids. Tube feeding could be done, and it is easy once you learn if interested. If you lose her, it would be good to have your state vet perform a necropsy and testing to determine what was wrong. I hope she perks up and starts eating. Let us know how she is doing.
Thank you - she is eating and her energy is good. She is not lethargic or looking miserable, which I am taking as a good sign. Have been in touch with the state vet - she was very helpful - and plan on a necropsy if it comes to that. They will also euthanize for a very reduced fee.

One thing I did notice was that a day or so ago her legs were cold, today they are warm, and she seems a bit more mobile. Not able to stand but not quite as collapsed. She is getting antibiotics and Vit B liquid.

How do you go about tube feeding? Thanks for your input and interest.

Sometimes they come off the roost hard. I had a welsummer who ended up with a bad wing from flying off the roost. She was sad about it, but then I gave her a 10 week old rooster chick, I adopted from somewhere else. He was lonely. She took him in and treated him like a baby. She forgot about her wing. It got better.
win3.PNG
bhb.PNG

Update - just over 4 weeks since Poppy couldn’t walk. Since then she’s had vitamin B and daily favorite treats as well as a visit to an animal chiropractor who works primarily on dogs as well as horses. I think the stimulation to her nervous system might have helped because she was noticeably better the day after the visit. Poppy is now walking and although not 100% she is light years ahead of where she was.

Appreciate all the help, support and encouragement. It definitely made a difference.

Attachments

• 0641514B-A6BB-4176-91AB-72F3E6B5496D.jpeg
    0641514B-A6BB-4176-91AB-72F3E6B5496D.jpeg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 2
Have been in touch with the state vet - she was very helpful - and plan on a necropsy if it comes to that. They will also euthanize for a very reduced fee.
@GG Brit I'm sorry, this is completely off topic, but how do I find a "state vet" in my state? What department are they typically with?
I tried googling, but am only getting state veterans hits

@GG Brit I'm sorry, this is completely off topic, but how do I find a "state vet" in my state? What department are they typically with?
I tried googling, but am only getting state veterans hits
I misspoke - it was actually the vet at the state of California department of agriculture where they deal with avian health. They will euthanize sick chickens and conduct necropsies to monitor any virus spread. They were very helpful. Good luck with your search.

Back
Top Bottom