20 day old eggs unplugged for 8 hours will they hatch?

Princess122179

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2016
19.5 to 20 day old chicken eggs were accidentally unplugged for about 8 hours overnight. When they were found, the temp was 22 c and humidity was 99%

Room temp has been 72 f all those unplugged hours

The last known reading while plugged in was 38.1 c and 71% humidity

Best i know the eggs have not pip yet.

Obviously they have been plugged back in and are warming up
Once temp got back up to 36.6 and humidity to 73, I have noticed a chirping coming from at least 1 egg several times...

Any hope they will live and hatch? What damage could have been done? This is my first hatch.

Last edited:
Good morning! I would not worry about it. Promise! Expect the chicks to hatch right on schedule. Remember. The inside of the shell (now the chick) takes a lot longer to cool off than the outside temp. Especially if the eggs are touching.
Don't forget to share pictures! And since this is your first hatch, allow me to bore you with a few more things I think will help.
It can take 24 hours from the time you see a hole in the egg until it is out. These are babies. They are going to get very tired while they are trying to hatch.
It can take more than 21 days to hatch. Some people have seen hatches as late as 28 days. I would say 23 is more common for a late hatcher.
If you have not read Sally Sunshine's hatching articles, please go to "Incubating with Friends" which is now closed, but still has the information (we chatter a lot. We had to start a new thread). Or the new thread "Educational Incubation and Hatching".

I hve read the sally sunshine post, but not the second one. One baby has already hatched! And i see 2 others with holes pecked in the shell now!

Its about 1.25 days "early" for hatching...but interestinly enough, this hatched baby is the 1st egg laid in the group...

Thanks for the feedback

3 have visable holes in shell now, still only 1 chick hatched. Remaining 2 are unknown if holes or not...i have not opened bator yet...

19.5 to 20 day old chicken eggs were accidentally unplugged for about 8 hours overnight. When they were found, the temp was 22 c and humidity was 99%

Room temp has been 72 f all those unplugged hours

The last known reading while plugged in was 38.1 c and 71% humidity

Best i know the eggs have not pip yet.

Obviously they have been plugged back in and are warming up
Once temp got back up to 36.6 and humidity to 73, I have noticed a chirping coming from at least 1 egg several times...

Any hope they will live and hatch? What damage could have been done? This is my first hatch.
Don't panic just yet! what has me concerned is that the humidity was way high and could possibly have drowned the chicks. Temperature is not much of a deal around this day due to the 'embryos' no longer 'developing' but it is always good to keep the temperature at 99.5f throughout the entire incubation period.

So unfortunately you will have to play the waiting game and hope they're all okay :) which I will be sending you good vibes! please let us know if they made it, it's always knowledgeable to learn from all experiences. Only adds to chicken knowledge
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I was shocked the humidity was up to 99% with the same amount of water from when the humidity was at 71% while it was running.

Right after I turned it back on, one chick quickly (2 hours) zipped and kicked out of the egg...happily running around the bater now. 3 others have pip thru the egg shell after it was turned back on, but no more have hatched. 1 of them has increased the opening (zipping I guess...)

2 eggs have made no progress that I can notice...I haven't opened the bater to inspect the eggs. But its early for them to hatch.

But you're right, the humidity was way too high. How did that happen? Does the heat keep the humidity down?

Back
Top Bottom