20 hens = NO EGGS

I bet they are taking a break or hiding them from you. A couple of my hens took over 2 months from molt to laying again. I also found about 10 eggs in a dark hidden corner of the barn so check anywhere and everywhere they could hide an egg.

Hate to stir the pot... (Okay, not really, I kinda LIKE to stir the pot...
tongue.png
)
I am using supplemental lighting - humanely! I am getting eggs, which I feel is a reward for my common sense. What I mean is that, here in Michigan, it is insanely "unnaturally" dark. (I am a southern gal, originally, so I have a bias). Anyway, the sun is out for about six hours, daily. My coop has the ambiance of a root cellar. I do not think I am "forcing" my girls by giving them a 40 watt bulb from 6-9a.m. and from 4-6p.m. I don't know if they could find the feeder w/o it
D.gif

(Kidding.)
If you lived near me, I'd share my eggs with you...
hugs.gif

I've got 55 birds and the banty flock is mixed ages. Of the 55 only two are from my 3 year old RIR hens. I provide a heat lamp in every coop to keep the water from freezing. We are losing daylight daily but Friday...Guess how many eggs I put in the basket for that day only?

Guess...

THIRTY:lol:

Only three of the GLW pullets are not producing daily yet and the banty flock eggs vary but half of those are different ages of young 'uns and I'm getting two very small eggs a day there so those two pullets from this summer must be laying now! (Baby and Angel)

I have 18 girls and get 12-15 eggs a day. I tried to leave off their light for awhile and egg production dropped off, but maybe because they were used to having it. I put the light back on and up went the egg count. I use an 11 watt red sign light bulb, so it doesn't cost much to run. I figured the cost according to my electric bill of running a 40 watt bulb 24 hrs a day would cost about 4.00 a month.

Ya count me in...ate the older hens I have some 20+ youngsters who have not started yet...age 5months to 3 months. Not sure of real count cause some are still unidentifed roosters. IE Crow and go.
Bilyroo

Back
Top Bottom