2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lockdown time for my eggs! Expecting them to hatch Sunday. 6 out of 7 are still in! I am super excited. Its been a couple months since I've had babies.

I am thinking I might save for Svart Hona eggs in the spring instead of getting an order of hatchery chicks. Chicks in the mail is the most stressful experience I've had in chicken keeping so far.

Awesome! And a fellow Texan ..........it's getting ready to snow here in CO soon......time to head south:)

My chickens almost died last night!!!!!!
My dog was barking so I got my torch looked into the darkness and saw a fox.
So I ran with my dog after the fox then I remembered I DIDN'T LOCK UP MY CHICKENS!!!!
But they were all alright.

Omg! We've dealt with coyotes and skunks that kill babies. I'm glad yours are alright!!!

oh interesting! let me know if you post again on the hybrid page will you, I will lurk again if I have time! I would love to see them grow up!   what of egg colors I forgot to ask!

I'll keep you updated! The egg color will probably be some sort of olive, since my CCL is laying minty green eggs and the cemanis lay a cream to tan egg.

The pullet has since laid three more eggs, which I am sorely tempted to incubate, but with my broodies already having 37 eggs between them, I really don't need to! But I will in the spring - having sex links will be useful.

Last edited:
ron..what? The day you set the eggs is always day one--there is no such thing as a day 0.....O is a place holder used in math and does not happen in the real world--You can have none of something but if you have any of something, you cannot have 0.

I always start counting the .. next day..because it is a full .. full..24 hrs. One day!

ron..what? The day you set the eggs is always day one--there is no such thing as a day 0.....O is a place holder used in math and does not happen in the real world--You can have none of something but if you have any of something, you cannot have 0.

I always start counting the .. next day..because it is a full .. full..24 hrs. One day!
Next time count by hours. Set the eggs and they will hatch 504 hours later--if the temps are correct in the incubator.

big_smile.png

Next time count by hours. Set the eggs and they will hatch 504 hours later--if the temps are correct in the incubator.

big_smile.png

On the other hand, they usually hatch when they want, even if the temps are right on. Some will come early, some will come late. But yeah, will have to give this a try and see what happens. Will be getting some eggs from a friend soon. I will count the hrs. with those. Will be interesting. :)

On the other hand, they usually hatch when they want, even if the temps are right on. Some will come early, some will come late. But yeah, will have to give this a try and see what happens. Will be getting some eggs from a friend soon. I will count the hrs. with those. Will be interesting. :)
Yes, there are a lot of variables in hatching--like the gestation for human babies.

some breeds will take longer and some take less time.

I will usually wait until I see the first pip before I set them up for lockdown so it really does not make a big difference on how the days are calculated.

Getting the estimated hatch time fine tuned can help you figure our if the temperature is off in the incubator though.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can send me some LO eggs LOL!

I had a huge flock of LOs and I sold them because I didn't like them at all. They were super mean and I tried everything to get them to accept some younger chicks and they refused. I have found my jubilee orps and lemon cuckoos to be much nicer. :)

I have also had another lav ameracauna hatch making it 2. A 3rd pip on lav am egg.

Sorry this has taken me so long to get back you. Here's a new pic of Goldie. Frizzle wouldn't sit still long enough for me to get a clear photo, but he does have feathers growing back down on his legs. He's such a big mess right now from his molt. I just started putting feather fixer in their feed in hopes it will help somewhat. He was so full and fluffy and beautiful in the Spring when we bought him.
LL
[/URL]
I think your are mistaken!!! we saw HER out the other night with our hens at the Saloon here in PA! SEE ... caught on the cam outside the saloon!
. Sally! You are hysterical!
My chickens almost died last night!!!!!! My dog was barking so I got my torch looked into the darkness and saw a fox. So I ran with my dog after the fox then I remembered I DIDN'T LOCK UP MY CHICKENS!!!! But they were all alright.
Wow! That's scary, glad your dog alerted you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom