2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of cleaning the sewing room I bought more fabric. Oops.

So, I am having a tough time trying to find a source for cochin or brahma eggs. I'm loving the look of lemon blue cochin. Anyone here know of a source? Actually, I don't need to find pure breeds. I'm trying to add to my flock of rainbow layers. My current three layers are all medium to light brown egg-layers. I have two that will be laying soon that will probably lay light brown eggs. I have two dark brown egg laying pullets (one BCM and one Welsummer) and one blue egg laying pullet (CCL) that are 7-weeks-old. Big light-colored fluffy birds with pretty eggs. (The reason I say light-colored is because I already have some black birds in my flock. I'd love some lemon or lavender in my yard.) The cockerels I'm keeping will be blue-egg gene (Ameraucana) and dark brown egg gene (BCM). Maybe I need some EE? What do y'all think? Oooh, does anyone have some crested, bearded, feather-legged mixes that they would send me?

I may be the most impatient crazy chicken person. I unexpectedly started this whole endeavor in April. Now, I have 18 young birds, 8 eggs in the incubator, and I want to set at least a dozen somewhere between 10/3 and 10/9 so I can hatch along with y'all. It's a good thing I have a large barn/coop. It will be an interesting winter around here. ;-)

You are not alone! Sounds so much like me. I guess we all start out small, then chicken math takes over!

Oh friend, u think your bad? I started in March, was given three chickens, now? I have 17, ive been through 40, selling and trading them yeilded us 3 turkeys, 7 ducks, and 3 quail
big_smile.png
i knew i was a nut before i started?! 21 duck eggs n the bator
wink.png
bought a brinsea 40 after an LG fried my first set... Now we are in buiness!

Yep, yep!

Haha. I can't get away with buying a new incubator yet. Similar story: My first 6 chicks were a gift. 4 were cockerels so she gave me 5 more chicks. Then I bought and set 45 eggs in the incubator I borrowed from her. 25 hatched successfully. Then my first pair started mating and laying so I set some pullet eggs. I haven't delved into other fowl yet. Ducks may be next.

My 5 roosters, and 3 drakes were gifted to me too!

Exactly!
gig.gif

And I lost my big egg quote
hmm.png
I get big ones like that occasionally. I know if I'm short an egg one day, I'm going to get a big one the next day!

Check out this duck egg (and she didn't skip a day!)

LOL!!!! Good one! BTW Cynthia, I have a NH that lays eggs like that and they don't fit in the carton. Glad I'm not a hen!!!

I was hoping for a three yolker but only a double..oh well, those yolks were huge.

I know what you mean, I have another one of hers that won't let the carton close. :D

I am IN! How can I resist spending some time with Sally? I have. Broody hen, I don't think I want to wait until the 10th... I'll hold off another week perhaps, she's been sitting for almost a week now and just started growling at me yesterday so I think I can hold off a little bit.

Ok, I'm guessing it's .... your birthday???

As many chickens as everyone in the group has..........have you noticed they like to hang with the same color as they are? I just heard this from the feed store this year and began watching them...........my BS hangs with my BO both buff........and the rest follow suit........how odd!!!!!!!!! My thoughts are they recognize the throw back strain from the bloodlines? Oh well ....here's the most unusual pair I've seen. My daughter had a rescue baby, the goat didn't hang with the goat the doe......guess who he was in love with..............
ep.gif

As many chickens as everyone in the group has..........have you noticed they like to hang with the same color as they are? I just heard this from the feed store this year and began watching them...........my BS hangs with my BO both buff........and the rest follow suit........how odd!!!!!!!!! My thoughts are they recognize the throw back strain from the bloodlines? Oh well ....here's the most unusual pair I've seen. My daughter had a rescue baby, the goat didn't hang with the goat the doe......guess who he was in love with..............
ep.gif

Ever hear "birds of a feather flock together"?

I slipped a new red sex link hen in with my 150 hens and they didn't notice. Put one Columbain patterned in and she had to run for her life.

It never really dawned on me lol!!!! Growing up I just had Leghorns and a few RIRs with a tossed in Bantam couple..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom