2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonshine15

sonshine15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Sally got my attention over the bator humidity. I have several staggered batches and was following the wrong instructions. With NO water it runs UP TO 40%. My air sacs are getting closer and closer to normal with each batch that's ready. Those instructions really are bad info when they tell you to add water etc. Hoping for a good hatch that needs no help this time

2. kdunn716

kdunn716 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2015
    Metamora, MI

Im having issues with my incubator humidity as well. It runs dry at 50-55 % even 60 sometimes. Ive added a bowl of dry rice in there to help dry it out but it hasnt helped. I even opened the vent holes all night but nope. I didnt calibrate it because I wasnt sure how to do the big one inside of the incubator. But I do have 2 other hygrometers and thermometers coming in the mail today. Fingers crossed everything is normal because its only on day 5 for my black coppers and day 3 for my quail and naked neck.

Also when do you guys start to candle your eggs? The black coppers are extremely hard to see in, I can make out a darker and a lighter part. But this is my first time so I have no idea lolol. Do you candle quail eggs or just hope for the best?

Katie :D

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How cool to hatch from the "same" flock! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

no channels filled until lockdown! use something removable IF you need them

[​IMG]

YELLOW AND BLACK!!! go chickies goooooo how many are out now????

Thank you!!! WOWOWOWOWO That link wasnt there before was it!! your talented! that is fine! that wasnt what I meant at all dear!!! Its a wonderful prize, if you want we can do a portrait of their favorite fowl or pet something? what are your thoughts? Have you done a pet? that I can use to put on as an example?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

just keep the vent holes open all the time Katie if it keeps going that high during the first 18 days, marans are such boogers too loose weight too. And maybe keep them at least 7 days before setting them that way they will loose weight before setting too, some people will set a before a clutch is done. I have actually stored copper marans in newspaper to help get weight loss, I KNOW SOUNDS ODD RIGHT? but it worked to help with weight loss! sometimes you have to think out of the box for what type of egg and what that egg needs, I WOULD NEVER TRY THAT WITH SERAMA LMAO!!

I candle around 7-10 days, and then around day 14 and then 18 when I lockdown.

Quail eggs I keep humidity at 55% and candle at day 10 and again at day 14 so I am sure there are no bad ones, you can typically tell by the air cell size and your nose lol.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hey you guys,

I had gotten an email from Alex this morning from My Pet Chicken, they have severed ties with previous suppliers and are now offering eggs from two new, farms.
    I wont post the entire conversation but here is the important part, no more bad quality eggs and better shipping methods!.... AND BYC members can get a discount....

2 people like this.
  5. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Ugh, now I'm worried about the rest of the marans eggs. Have one rotten one before the week is even up?... Not a good sign in my book. Now I keep sniffing the vents to make sure nothing else is being sneakily stinky. I did take the opportunity to candle the eggs while I was in there last night. Getting great development so far on about 50% of the D'uccle eggs. A few I'm questionable on, and a couple of clears/blood rings. The marans eggs, I can't see much on so I just left those, pretty sure I saw an embryo on a single one tho. We'll see what we get in a few more days me thinks.

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    stop fretting, what will be will be, you are doing what you can right? [​IMG]

7. CaseyV

CaseyV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    I just set 104 quail eggs, I will NOT pick these eggs up lol

due to hatch Oct 15th

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] 104 [​IMG]

9. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    True, and I keep telling myself that at least I found it pretty early before it had a chance to ooze/explode. But the disappointment so early on... [​IMG]

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    true, the nose knows!

I know and such a nice egg too, oh well this crap happens, at least it wasnt one you had to cull uggggg thats the worst out of hatching... THE WORST

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by