2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the apron! I can remember when you offered an apron for collecting eggs I thought, what a great idea? lol..I wonder how many people have done this..besides me remembering my Grandmother doing this now that it's been brought up! I can see her now with her holding her apron up to make a place to hold them. Can't believe I forgot that. I'm thankful for the memory!

Love the apron!   I can remember when you offered an apron for collecting eggs I thought, what a great idea?   lol..I wonder how many people have done this..besides me remembering my Grandmother doing this now that it's been brought up!  I can see her now with her holding her apron up to make a place to hold them.  Can't believe I forgot that.  I'm thankful for the memory!

I'm so happy it brings up happy memories!

I usually just put them in my sweatshirt pocket, but my friend showed me an apron that has individual pockets for each egg. Since I'm a new crazy chicken lady, she thought I should make one with her. For practical purposes I thought larger pockets would be better. What if someone gardens as well? I figured this design allows it to be used for multiple purposes. This is my first attempt.

I'd like to join! I set eggs 4 days ago. So a little sooner then the 10th! Lol. But am actually thinking about having DH build an incubator with me this weekend, or at least buy another small one (48 egg capacity). We set some barnyard mix eggs. We set 48, some are silver sebright eggs. The rest are a mixture of what we have free ranging for a while, giving them a break before going back to their separate pens! We have: Lavender Orps, Lavender Ameraucana, BBS Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, French Black Copper Marans, Dominiques, real Araucanas (white), various bantam cochin varieties, mille Fleur D'Uccles, Silver Sebrights, Salmon Faverolles, sizzles, silkies, Cuckoo Marans, and then red sexlinks and other barnyard mix hens. We also have 3 varieties of turkeys.

We (me & DH) are chicken addicted! It's all we seem to talk and think about. We have about 150-200 birds and all of them have names, lol. We enjoy our feather babies. Lol.

I'd like to join! I set eggs 4 days ago. So a little sooner then the 10th! Lol. But am actually thinking about having DH build an incubator with me this weekend, or at least buy another small one (48 egg capacity). We set some barnyard mix eggs. We set 48, some are silver sebright eggs. The rest are a mixture of what we have free ranging for a while, giving them a break before going back to their separate pens! We have: Lavender Orps, Lavender Ameraucana, BBS Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, French Black Copper Marans, Dominiques, real Araucanas (white), various bantam cochin varieties, mille Fleur D'Uccles, Silver Sebrights, Salmon Faverolles, sizzles, silkies, Cuckoo Marans, and then red sexlinks and other barnyard mix hens. We also have 3 varieties of turkeys.

We (me & DH) are chicken addicted! It's all we seem to talk and think about. We have about 150-200 birds and all of them have names, lol. We enjoy our feather babies. Lol.

We'll get some early babies! Will make us all the more excited for ours. I do have some due to hatch next week, but then, I will be waiting on my Halloween chicks. I'm thinking I may set a bit early so I'm not stuck home hatching chicks..or not able to spend time with grandkids when they stop by. :)

We did 7 day candle on day 8 (because my husband wanted to see/watch) Very fun to watch them moving around! Can see a little in the marans eggs, some blood vessels but still difficult to make out. Lots of fun!

That sounds like a good plan! Our eggs go into lockdown on our wedding anniversary. Almost accidentally had chicks on our anniversary! lol. We would have had to stay home. So it worked out well. I candled yesterday and had 100% fertility and all but 2 eggs had healthy veins starting to show. So I'm hoping for a really good hatch!

The summer heat is KILLING ME!
barnie.gif

I'm in Southern Alabama, so I feel ya. Luckily it's 62 outside so finally, the air conditioner is off and the windows are open. We are enjoying it for sure!! And so are the chickens, dogs, cats and turkeys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom