2015 Pacific Poultry Breeders Association Show NOW MODESTO

dldolan

WineNChooks
13 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
So! Who is heading to Stockton? January 24th-25th I've always had to work, and finally do NOT! So, I'm going!!! (I know...I'm geeky in my enthusiasm!)
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
It's a good show to go to. It will be interesting to see how the new location works out.

As far as buying in the sale barn, there are a lot of birds but not necessarily what any one person is looking for. If you are searching for a particular breed or variety, it may work out better to contact breeders of interest in advance. Some breeds are definitely better represented than others. Definitely take the time to inspect the birds for parasites before taking anything home... that was a problem last year.

If you buy, you get just a bird handed to you. It's your responsibility to feed and water and contain it once it's yours, so it's wise to bring an empty carrier, a little feed, and a water cup. Weather could be warm/sunny or not, so even if you're going right home it's good to be thinking about water (and most likely you'll want to hang out and look at other birds etc). Usually there will be a vendor selling cage cups. The sale barn may have cardboard boxes for sale but best to come prepared.

As far as prices, they are all over. You'll see some birds as low as $10 and some quite a bit more; it varies mostly on how willing the seller is to take the birds back home, as far as I can tell. Do your research ahead of time in terms of knowing your breed and what to look for if you want a show bird - there will be a range of quality. Bring cash and a cell phone, because yes, usually you'll need to call the seller. Cruise the room several times, because people will arrive later, people will refill the cages with additional birds, etc. Some birds that were in the show will be available for sale after the judging on Saturday, for pickup Sunday. If you go to buy, you'll want to be there Friday evening or early Saturday. All the action happens on Saturday, in terms of things to see and do.

I usually photograph sales cages of interesting birds, which will have a name and phone number, for future reference. The cell camera is a wonderful thing.

A local 4-H club usually sells food on Saturday for breakfast and lunch and it seems that will be continuing at the new location.

The sale barn (and the competition bird count) is usually bigger in years when it's a national meet, which is not this year. Still, it should be a fun show with plenty to see.

We went to this last year when the show was at the fairgrounds. Possibly considering attending again this year.

The showing areas and even the "barn" sale area was huge and overwhelming. Roosters crowing, people in close quarters... strollers everywhere (at least they kept bumping into us. lol) Think Costco filled with birds... Huge. Lots of walking. Get there as early as possible. We got to the sale area 1 hour late, and all the birds we really wanted were purchased already. All the BC Marans we purchased had major flaws, and badly needed worming, but at the time we didn't know enough about the breed to avoid the big pitfalls, so we purchased some pretty duds at top dollar.
sad.png
Fortunately, eventually things worked out, and we were able to trade a hen, and purchase a few better birds from that breeder, so we aren't stuck anymore with birds that can't be bred.
smile.png

Wear walking shoes, have plenty of water or drinks, and a cellphone (most sellers will need to be called). Bring a few dog carriers in the car, or boxes or totes with large holes cut into them. If you plan on purchasing bantams under 2 lbs, you can use clean dog carrier purses to cart them around.

If you plan on buying really complicated birds for breeding like BCM, have a list of important questions ready, and do enough research that you know how the bird should ideally look like. Bring a pen and paper, and retain the breeder's # number or email address as you may need to ask questions, etc.

Look closely at both of the bird's eyes for irregularities, look for a overall healthful look, and ill demeanor like hunching or fluffed feathers. See if there is any "snot" woven in the shoulder or saddle feathers, or if you smell any off smells around the head. Expect to quarantine any newcomers for at least a month.

For any birds you purchase, ask questions like:

When were they born?

Are they purebred? (Sure nothing else mixed in?)
If the breeder gets mad... tough... Tell them I told you there are too many unintentional mixed breeds out there not to ask. Four of our 6 birds were split for Wheaten when they should have been ER Birchen based. They all looked like pure BCM.

Are you breeding toward SOP?

Have you ever had a respiratory infection in your flock? (I'd pass if the awnser is yes- respiratory issues can mean that a bird may be a carrier but asymptomatic, so, it may not show any symptoms.)

Mereks disease?

Are you breeding toward resistance to anything?

When was the last time you wormed your chickens? (Watch their droppings carefully as this will tell you a lot about what's happening with them.)

Check the legs for raised scales. Scaly leg mite is contagious and hard to cure, but curable with diligence.

Look under wings and vent for lice.

Look for missing toes or foreshortened toes on feathered shanked breeds, split or slipped wing, comb sprigs on single combs, double spurs, and other DQ or genetic issues that should not be bred forward.

For POL pullet's and hens, check the pelvic bone spacing to see if she is close to lay, or laying. There should be at least about a 2" width, and her comb should be red and plump, not pale or dry looking. For adult hens check the same things, but really feel the bone spacing, and asked when the last time she laid an egg and see if they have an egg sample from her. If I purchase any more BCM, I would have to see a recent sample of their egg color before purchasing a pullet or hen, and it needs to be at least a #4 on the Marans scale. I would never purchase another Marans without knowing the history and egg color unless I was prepared for the worst.

I think good birds can be found, just be very choosy and careful, and don't fall in love too quickly.

I have 2 questions...

Does the show staff send some sort of notice that your entry was received?

I read what Jim Sallee said, on Facebook, about the AI situation and the show. But, is it really safe for the entered birds? I have one entered that is extremely special to me and can't be replaced. I want her in the show but I'm wondering if it's foolish to take the risk?

You can email or call to find out, but they don't acknowledge entries. As long as the State vet thinks everything is OK, there should be no problem. They don't let poultry shows go on when there is a real threat. The shows have been closed down twice that I know of in the last 30 years. There is no doubt when they think there is a real threat, but it is a personal decision for those that want to show. I don't think there is a threat and I have not been notified as a CA Poultry Health Inspector that there is any impending poultry crisis. CA is on the Pacific Flyway. there is always AI somewhere in wild birds, primarily wild waterfowl.

Walt

More stuff about the show, read on Facebook. Someone posted his opinion that free ranging birds should not be brought to the show. Several people that I respect agreed with him.
My birds do free range or range in pens that are exposed to sparrows & songbirds. They are not exposed to waterfowl. I don't think I live directly in the flyway, rarely see ducks or geese fly overhead. None of my birds are sick. I do visual inspection every day on every bird.
Do you think that the show staff does not want free ranging birds entered in the show?

You will not have any problems. Any backyard flock that has AI .....well.....you would know something was wrong.

w.

I'm going!!!! I convinced my husband that I'll be safe and he reeeallly doesn't want to go so me and the little girl <------- are going!!!

So EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom