2015 Pacific Poultry Breeders Association Show NOW MODESTO

That's cool. I am planning to bring my 3 kids, so that's nice that there will be other kids there. My 8 year old is doing 4-h and he wants to try showing later in the year, so we are going to check it all out & see what it's like.

Anything in particular we should check out for him? We have (not) been to a show before.

This show has a whole section of junior activities. In the past, it has been in a separate building, but maybe at this facility it is in the main building? I'm not certain. There is a judging contest, an open book quiz on the APA standard, showmanship, and Avian Bowl. Showmanship requires preregistration and is quite competitive; the others you can sign up for on the spot. These are great activities for your kids or your 4-H group if you are only able to come for the day.

The sales area will be separate from the showing area and is worth checking out also.

Mostly there are a lot of birds to look at, and they will be categorized by class and breed. With little kids, you probably won't have time or energy to see all the birds, so it's good to prioritize - maybe there are breeds that you're especially interested in looking at. I use my cell phone camera to take "notes" of what birds I liked, any sellers that had interesting birds, etc. There's an exhibitor number on every cage card that can be used to trace contact information back to the exhibitor, if you want to make a connection, so often I take a picture of the bird and then a close up of the cage card.

If you have an APA or ABA standard, I suggest bringing it for reference.

There will also be vendors of various Stuff, of course, so if there's something poultry-related you need, you might find it here.

Last edited:
Is there a pre-sale thread for this show on BYC? There has been one for previous shows but I can't find one for 2015?
Thanks!
We could start one! I know lots of folks like to take this opportunity to meet, get eggs and birds from folks they don't often see from various parts of CA. Trades or non-show purchases could be off-site, perhaps?

What time on Friday do you think would be best to look in case we want to buy? I saw on the schedule that there is a dinner for the exhibitors on Friday night so wondering when the best time would be to get a jump start =) Just in case there is something I can't live without =) But I know that the birds can't leave until sunday.

Birds entered in the show cannot leave until Sunday, but sale barn chickens can leave as soon as they are sold.

Thank you Walt, for all your time and patience answering questions here, and also for your work in putting together the show. We enjoyed the new venue, and my daughter was thrilled over the moon to get on Jr. Champion Row with her Silver Laced Wyandotte.

What a pretty bird! Your daughter should be thrilled---so exciting to win big!

Ditto!

I very much enjoyed showing my birds for the first time. I got a lot of valuable advice and guidance on my birds. It's also nice to know that what I am seeing in my birds, is what I should be seeing.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom