2020 Fall Ducklings 🦆💖

QUOTE="WannaBeHillBilly, post: 23515774, member: 524071"]
All thirteen ducklings turned out to be ducks. No Drake!
So my total ratio in the flock is now 29 ducks to 11 drakes or 2.63 ducks per drake,
Not quite ideal, but if i take Limpy Drake out it is almost 3 ducks per drake.
[/QUOTE]

Congrats - this must be one of the few wins of 2020 !

I didn't hatch those ducklings! - I bought them from Metzer Farms in CA and their employees are pretty good in sexing the newly hatched birds.
From the four ducklings that Pinball Duck hatched out for me this summer, three were drakes…

I didn't hatch those ducklings! - I bought them from Metzer Farms in CA and their employees are pretty good in sexing the newly hatched birds.
From the four ducklings that Pinball Duck hatched out for me this summer, three were drakes…
I don't think its unheard of for duck owners to get mugged by their own ducks or sellers. Either way, am pleased for you !

That sounds like a good plan. I cannot use that excuse at the moment but I want runner females and at least a Cayuga. BTW, the ones we hatched back in August and gave to friends turned out to be 3 drakes 1 hen
The curse of the drakes again! - I am somewhat hesitant to let any duck go broody - or buy an incubator…

Ok the fall ducklings went outside two days ago. Yesterday I was still the yummy food and fresh water bringer to be treated with happy peeps. Today I am an axe murderer that we would rather self injure than get anywhere near and scream as loud as we can. I hate this stage and it always seems to happen overnight.

It looks like it will be a spring arrival for us to Harrison county. There is a long delay in getting the wood floors replaced. They will not be installed until Dec 18th. I took three drakes to auction to trim the flock down to 8 hens and two drakes. I will keep this size until we arrive in our new home.
Sounds like we will have to plan a trip to the Northeastern part of the Republic next year.

Ok the fall ducklings went outside two days ago. Yesterday I was still the yummy food and fresh water bringer to be treated with happy peeps. Today I am an axe murderer that we would rather self injure than get anywhere near and scream as loud as we can. I hate this stage and it always seems to happen overnight.
The very same had happened with my fall ducklings: After two nights in the little house on the meadow everybody piled up and screamed in the far end of the house when i opened the door in the morning and they all waited until the dux-butcher went away before running outside. 😢
But then in the afternoon the National Guard saved the day: One of their huge transport planes flew right over us while i was cleaning the ducknager-house. Everybody was screaming in fear of that huge whole-dux-swallowing bird of prey in the sky, ran towards me and huddled around my feet, peeping like freshly hatched ducklings. 😍
Since then i am no longer the grim reaper, just the swamp monster… :lol:

It looks like it will be a spring arrival for us to Harrison county. There is a long delay in getting the wood floors replaced. They will not be installed until Dec 18th. I took three drakes to auction to trim the flock down to 8 hens and two drakes. I will keep this size until we arrive in our new home.
Harrison County in Texas? - I remember the area as very lush and green, but a bit swampy.
We drove through there on our road trip to Memphis, TN.

Back
Top Bottom