Ended 2023 Valentine's Day Contest Series—Wattle I Do Without You?

This is Zeus. He is my fav as of late. We got him from a broody hen under the porch and he's the only one left out of 9. He's quite a gentleman (as roosters go) and has protected the flock from many hawk attacks. He is about 2 1/2 years old and when his dad died, quickly filled in as the top of the order.
View attachment 3383285
He is gorgeous!

View attachment 3383945
This is Chicky-pie, an around two year old Light Sussex.
She was laying a lot of wonky eggs for a while, and I was thinking of culling her, but couldn't.
She is just too much of a character, and I love her for it. When she is preening herself, she makes the funniest little noises, like she is talking to herself.
And her eggs have fixed themselves for now.
She is a lovely girl ♡

This is NOva,
!nv.PNG

Last edited:
This is Moonshine, my little Sebright hen, and my very favorite chicken. She is friendly, outspoken, and opinionated. But she also is willing to let me dress her up for BYC contests, and will fly up onto my shoulder, sometimes unexpectedly.
View attachment 3382700
Wish my sebrights were that tame!

This is Mango. She’s my orpington hen that made me fall in love with the breed. Mango is the lowest in the pecking order, and got bullied extremely bad for months. I tried everything I could, but I couldn’t remove her at the time due to space issues and moving and extreme water/mold issues in the old barn and house etc. The only thing I could do for her was let her free range from sunup to sundown. I knew there was a huge risk, but her back was bare and raw and bleeding in spots, and she had no confidence. I love this hen, she used to come running from the other side of the field when she saw me, she bossed the horses around, stood under them and ate their food, and kept the cats in place. Mango was the chicken who was most spoiled and came under the kitchen window to “scream” for treats. She always got what she wanted, treats, usually grapes or blueberries because she got picky and only wanted sweet things. Mango is a character and is known by many who frequently come to the farm, while the others are just known as…. The chickens or ducks. Mango is by far my favorite hen because she never gave up. She kept fighting and was happy to be a loner chicken who wandered the yard all day. I often would go out just to socialize with her, eat meals with her (which she jumped up into my lap to steal) etc. I’m happy to say once we moved we came up with a much better set up and were able to separate Mango for the months she needed for healing- both physical and emotional. She needed to regain not only feathers, but confidence. She thrived for months on her own and it was incredible to see her grow stronger and heal. I’m now happy to say she is officially back with the flock after reintegration. It’s honestly bitter sweet because as she’s joining back into her little chicken community…. Shes pulling away from needing me. But I would much rather her live like a chicken should, with her siblings. She’s still the most social by far as well 😊
65DBB86C-A3AB-49F1-8336-935788717C9F.jpeg

Entry #1:

This is Beth II. She is a rescued Isa Brown hen who was found wandering around a busy highway. My Mom found her on her way to a doctor's appointment for my unborn baby sister. The original owner of Beth was found, but he didn't care about her. My Mom brought her home to me, and because of Beth's previous horrible living conditions, I had to give her a bath and teach her how to perch. Beth took a deep liking to me and would often pace the fence whenever she saw me. Though she is still in her laying years, it has been determined that Beth will live out her life on my farm as a pet.

IMG_3322.JPG

At 1st glance I thought this contest might be about who has a huge wattle, but my boy happens to check both boxes. Casanova has the longest, dangling wattle & biggest comb of any Rooster I have, or have even seen! He is also the sweetest lover boy & enjoys my hugs. He is so gentle when he checks out my hat, earrings & hair, & he tilts his head looking at me, like he is asking me if it's OK to check out my hat. He will often walk over to me & stand on the top of my foot, looking up at me...he wants me to pick him up & give him hugs. If I sit down, he will jump up on my lap. I will go over his feathers on the back of his head & neck, preening his feathers with my fingers, where he can't reach, & he makes the sweetest sounds. His papa is RIR, his mama is a Comet, so his gorgeous tail comes from his White Leghorn grandparent. He hatched in Spring 2020. I hatched my 1st chicken eggs, 10 of them. He has always been so sweet, to me & his hens. He's all grown up, a very lovable & handsome boy.

20210504_114833.jpg

Back
Top Bottom