Ended 2023 Valentine's Day Contest Series—Wattle I Do Without You?

20221221_091303.jpg

Doo the roo. He's a mixed breed that came with the property my family bought. He loves walking around our front door waiting for scraps, and sometimes even makes his way into our kitchen!

Last edited:
Ugh this will drive me crazy since I don’t have a better picture of my boy here, but this is Sage, the little duckling that had a long hard fight. Our whole family had made a decision to be done with getting more ducks….. but then we went to the feed store again. I was able to walk away once…. But the second time I went back…. I couldn’t. I had wanted khaki campbells, so we chose two lighter looking ducklings out of the bin, and I don’t know exactly why but I asked the guy to give me the two smallest ones they had. They ended up being cayugas but I didn’t mind. It soon became apparent that Sage was failing to thrive, he wouldn’t eat, barely drank, and got trampled endlessly. I took action quickly and ran to the store to grab two more ducklings, because I had a feeling Sage wouldn’t make it. I then put the three healthy ducklings together, and transferred Sage from the garage brooder to my room on his own box. This began a long struggle. At first he was too weak to care that he was alone, but as I forced him to eat more food and b complex and constantly was messing with him, he gained a bit of strength enough to scream for me when he couldn’t see me. It was exhausting, but I wouldn’t give up. At least like six times a day I force fed him. He was the tiniest thing, and I was afraid to hurt him, but I had to try. The adult ducks came in handy since they kept producing eggs for me to feed Sage, since that was the one thing he would eat. I would put his crumbles in a bowl with an egg, whisk it together and scramble it for him every morning. He tried he really did to eat on his own, but he was so weak. He couldn’t even take baths like the other ducklings who were now triple his size, since he aspirated every time. I gave him a frog stuffed animal that he fell in love with and couldn’t leave. He slept on froggy, ate on froggy, and did everything with froggy. Then… one day he started perking up, and he started trying to eat more, and as time went on, he got stronger and grew so fast I would blink and he’d be an inch longer. The other ducklings were massive and I was scared to put them with Sage, so I ran to the farm store and convinced them to let me only buy one duckling, this time a Rouen. (See how chicken/duck math works?😂) he and Waffles loved each other at first sight and grew up together from them on our. Now Sage is bigger than his siblings, and he’s thriving more than ever.

Attachments

• 4E9093E6-DE94-4396-A17E-F34DC3CBF415.jpeg
    4E9093E6-DE94-4396-A17E-F34DC3CBF415.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 4
5B61EDC4-B166-4029-B461-E66402FF1930.jpeg
Meet my boy Polo, in this picture he is suffering a leg injury which he had suffered for about 3 months, age 2 months to 4 months- We had thought he’d never heal and he’d be our little hopper forever but he pulled through like the tough man he is and is now a ladies man, bc of his injury me and him bonded and i was always giving him special attention, still do. He is definitely spoiled. He’s 9 months now and has his only flock and 3 of his chicks on the way next week. He came from tsc and is a big ol’ handsome ee now. He is my first ever ee rooster to own and before i got him i’d always hear ee roo’s were one of the meanest roosters you could own but Polo and his brother who I got rid of due to having too many roo’s, were very friendly and always generous to their hens, especially Polo, I love this guy very much, definitely my fav ever rooster.

View attachment 3389389Meet my boy Polo, in this picture he is suffering a leg injury which he had suffered for about 3 months, age 2 months to 4 months- We had thought he’d never heal and he’d be our little hopper forever but he pulled through like the tough man he is and is now a ladies man, bc of his injury me and him bonded and i was always giving him special attention, still do. He is definitely spoiled. He’s 9 months now and has his only flock and 3 of his chicks on the way next week. He came from tsc and is a big ol’ handsome ee now. He is my first ever ee rooster to own and before i got him i’d always hear ee roo’s were one of the meanest roosters you could own but Polo and his brother who I got rid of due to having too many roo’s, were very friendly and always generous to their hens, especially Polo, I love this guy very much, definitely my fav ever rooster.
Oh he is adorable! :love

Second entry:
20221007_102452.jpg

Not yet to have a name, haven't found one that I've stuck with yet. This is my 5 month old Cream legbar in front of her flock litter mate, a BO. She suffered an eye injury by accidentally get pecked in the eye by somebody during the night while they were perching. It was a bad injury which we had though her eye'd be sealed shut forever. It healed and all she has now is slight scarring but they eye itself looks great. It had happened after that photo was taken case y'all were wondering. She's much bigger now. She is yet to lay an egg but I'm looking foward to it. During her injury we'd always bring her inside where it was warm and put eye cream on the eye while soaking it with warm water, and then she'd get bread afterwards. So now she is very familar with being caught and as a matter of fact i think she looks forward to being caught cause she thinks she'll get a treat.
She came from tsc as well.

This lady here (in the front lol) is Coco. She is my lap chicken. My cuddler. And one of my absolute favorites hens. She's a chocolate silkie, around a year old. I got her from a lady who lived over an hour away, with her brooder brother, who ended up being really aggressive. She, on the other hand, is very submissive (aside from to Blaze there in the back, who she occasionally loves and more often so likes to remind that she is his boss lol). She is due for a poof cut. 😂🥰
IMG_2023-01-28-15-03-47-310.jpg

Second Entry:
Blaze.
My little flame. He is anything but firey, don't let the red poof fool you. But he is SO comical in everything he does. He can't even walk without making noises, every step of the way. He makes my days brighter ❤️🌞

Attachments

• IMG_2023-01-15-12-22-31-811.jpg
    IMG_2023-01-15-12-22-31-811.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom