21 Week Old Buff Brahma Possibly Ill - Any Help Greatly Appreciated

Hello all!!

Just wanted to update and say thank you all very much for all your help!

The hen’s blood work came back and her white blood cell count was elevated and her calcium levels were low and she was underweight. Overall, the only worthwhile part of the vet was the fluid pump and potentially the antibiotics. But wait there’s more!

The Brahma (Ru) is making it! The doctor prescribed her antibiotics, however, she got so much worse before she got better.

Turns out, she developed/had, and is recovering from wry neck. A diagnosis we DID NOT get from the vet. The way we treated it was from syringe-feeding her nutri-drench (for goats because it’s cheaper for the same formulation and more of it), being very careful to avoid her trachea. We have been doing this 2x-4x per day for a week now. She is on the up and up and has began to eat on her own and rejoin with the rest of the flock, which has made her sis very happy.

We also got our first egg!! Our ISA brown has been giving us one egg/day for three weeks now. We upped the protein for all the birds to 20% protein and added a separate dish and spread calcium around the run for them to grab as wanted. I think the up in protein and calcium was just a little too late for poor Ru which led to her developing wry neck.

We also had quite the ***hole rooster in the pen with them before she got sick and he was definitely hogging the food. Once he found another home the rest of the hens easily gained weight.

Lessons learned:

1. Unless your chicken might die at any moment, and even then, maybe decide against it - don’t take your chicken to the vet. Over $500 later it was a HUGE mistake, however for all our other animals we always take them regularly (surgeries, shots, preventatives, check ups, etc.). When I spoke to the vet over the phone, they wanted to give Ru an X-ray and more tests, which would have been another $300.

2. State labs are awesome and a great resource - thank you VA state lab!!

3. Feed is extremely important. TREATING WRY NECK SUCKS. Like it really sucks. It looks like your chicken is literally having a seizure and dying all the time. Way easier to prevent.

4. BYCs is awesome.

Sorry for the book I wrote, but hopefully, this helps another worried chicken newb like myself!! Thanks again everyone!

Hello all!!

Just wanted to update and say thank you all very much for all your help!

The hen’s blood work came back and her white blood cell count was elevated and her calcium levels were low and she was underweight. Overall, the only worthwhile part of the vet was the fluid pump and potentially the antibiotics. But wait there’s more!

The Brahma (Ru) is making it! The doctor prescribed her antibiotics, however, she got so much worse before she got better.

Turns out, she developed/had, and is recovering from wry neck. A diagnosis we DID NOT get from the vet. The way we treated it was from syringe-feeding her nutri-drench (for goats because it’s cheaper for the same formulation and more of it), being very careful to avoid her trachea. We have been doing this 2x-4x per day for a week now. She is on the up and up and has began to eat on her own and rejoin with the rest of the flock, which has made her sis very happy.

We also got our first egg!! Our ISA brown has been giving us one egg/day for three weeks now. We upped the protein for all the birds to 20% protein and added a separate dish and spread calcium around the run for them to grab as wanted. I think the up in protein and calcium was just a little too late for poor Ru which led to her developing wry neck.

We also had quite the ***hole rooster in the pen with them before she got sick and he was definitely hogging the food. Once he found another home the rest of the hens easily gained weight.

Lessons learned:

1. Unless your chicken might die at any moment, and even then, maybe decide against it - don’t take your chicken to the vet. Over $500 later it was a HUGE mistake, however for all our other animals we always take them regularly (surgeries, shots, preventatives, check ups, etc.). When I spoke to the vet over the phone, they wanted to give Ru an X-ray and more tests, which would have been another $300.

2. State labs are awesome and a great resource - thank you VA state lab!!

3. Feed is extremely important. TREATING WRY NECK SUCKS. Like it really sucks. It looks like your chicken is literally having a seizure and dying all the time. Way easier to prevent.

4. BYCs is awesome.

Sorry for the book I wrote, but hopefully, this helps another worried chicken newb like myself!! Thanks again everyone!
sweet lol what were you feeding her

Back
Top Bottom