24 week Barred Rock won’t lay

Mickidoodle

Chirping
Apr 8, 2020
I know I just need to be patient... but I’m about to make this Barred Rock a meat bird! She is 24 weeks and shows signs she is ready to lay. Her comb is bright red, she runs over to me when I am in the yard and squats, she makes the clucking sounds. Nothing!
I just cleaned the coop and checked everyone for mites-clean! They have the run of the back yard and treats throughout the day- they are spoiled happy birds!
Today I tried leaving eggs in the nest and placing her in the coop over and over. She even sat on an egg for a few minutes and arranged the nest....then got up and left like “that was fun, what’s next?” 🤦🏼‍♀️
Any tips for enticing her to lay for me or do I just need to keep waiting?

Side note. Is there a place she can sneak off to and lay without your knowledge?

You can vent check her to verify if she’s laying. There’s two bones easily felt either side of vent. Two fingers width or half finger more means not laying. 3+ fingers and they are laying/ready to lay. If vent is larger and moist, most likely currently laying.

Side note. Is there a place she can sneak off to and lay without your knowledge?

You can vent check her to verify if she’s laying. There’s two bones easily felt either side of vent. Two fingers width or half finger more means not laying. 3+ fingers and they are laying/ready to lay. If vent is larger and moist, most likely currently laying.
I have been checking around the yard. I haven’t found any eggs. I have a pretty small area and I’m home all day- I check on them frequently and never see her missing or sneaking off. I checked her back side today and it was nice and soft- guess I will have to check her vent. 🤷‍♀️
Thanks for the tip!

I’m in the same boat. I‘ve got a barred rock at 23 weeks and I haven’t seen an egg from her yet. She free ranges though, so she may be hiding them. I decided today that I’m keeping her locked in the coop and run for a couple of days to make sure, but I didn’t know about vent checking so I’ll try that too.

I have been checking around the yard. I haven’t found any eggs.
Time for an exam....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe some confinement time, do you have a run?
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom