25 OR so eggs

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
Just now we found 26 eggs in an abandoned shed out back (we are renting it belongs to owners). First white eggs from our girls. As usual, I have no clue who they came from.

Clearly we must do something different/better with their nesting boxes inside the coop. Hubby says I need to get straw. I have been using wood chips. I think perhaps I need to add/change the chips out more frequently. Patera says she does hers daily. He is insistent upon adopting straw :idunno to keep/get them ALL laying inside their nests. I am thinking of those goofy curtains now.

Last edited:
Just now we found 26 eggs in an abandoned shed out back (we are renting it belongs to owners). First white eggs from our girls. As usual, I have no clue who they came from.

Clearly we must do something different/better with their nesting boxes inside the coop. Hubby says I need to get straw. I have been using wood chips. I think perhaps I need to add/change the chips out more frequently. Patera says she does hers daily. He is insistent upon adopting straw :idunno to keep/get them ALL laying inside their nests. I am thinking of those goofy curtains now.
I use pine shavings in mine , have done that for 3 years. Have heard mites can live in straw , I personally DONT like it. Mine do love the stupid curtains I put up. I love the idea of locking them up till they get it right. Nest boxes are lower than roosts correct?
Maybe add fake eggs to help them figure it out

I use pine shavings in mine , have done that for 3 years. Have heard mites can live in straw , I personally DONT like it. Mine do love the stupid curtains I put up. I love the idea of locking them up till they get it right. Nest boxes are lower than roosts correct?
Maybe add fake eggs to help them figure it out
Okie, cool beans. And, I have some way cool Ankara (African) fabric so my girls can lay privately in style, looking cool ta boot.

Yes, lower and yes fake eggs AANNND golf balls in them. I'll try the changing out the shavings more often and perhaps a thicker layer won't hurt. Oh, and then there's the curtains. Guess I can install them with a glue gun at the top. I hear they will know to just part the curtains and git r done. I am thinking two curtains with middle slit; yes?

Thank you.

I would keep them in there coop for a few days and not let them out till they of back to laying eggs in the nesting boxes.
This^^^
Sometimes you have to 'force' them to establish a habit,
has more to do with that than bedding or accouterments.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

This^^^

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone. :D

This^^^

Agreed

Look what hubby found today. :clap :clap :lau

A bunch green eggs. now all we need is ham. found under a tree near dog's house.

Attachments

• 20230220_150612.jpg
    20230220_150612.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom