26 wk. old K. Campbell hen--suffering from....b-foot? (Update:NOW PICS

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Khaki Campbell hen
26 weeks old
Formerly very active, typical joy-filled Campbell.
Has already done some laying

No nasal discharge or eye foam; no wheezy breathing.

Has stopped laying

lags behind others, walking slowly.
often off by herself just standing there or plopped on the ground. At times almost seems to be ‘hiding’. Sometimes sleeping, often though just looking straight ahead.

Generally separating herself from the 12 others.
They all swim, she didn’t even attempt to get in.

I am not even aware she eats, though she does SIP at the water bowl extensively. Yet even her drinking is not with gusto

Did gobble down a couple worms I tossed to her yesterday.

Seems to be favoring her left foot somewhat—actually I think she is in extreme pain. Other birds yesterday simply trampled her when she was in their path. Not even a peep out of her.

Yet I have never seen her really limping along, just walking slowly, slowly. Noticed some limping as I went after her with the net. She was obviously hobbled somewhat.

She makes no sound at all—unless I try to catch her, then a mild quack.

Both feet seem normal. The foot in question does appear to be enlarged on the underpart of the middle toe at each joint. But there is nothing unusual really in the appearance. No lacerations, no puss. One of the enlarged parts seems to be cracked slightly, but it is not open or bleeding. Like an old crack healed.

Outwardly, the bird appears normal, really.

But I think there may be an issue with the left foot somehow. I thought possibly an infected laceration that ‘metastatized’ throughout body, but I am not aware of any day on which she was limping and bleeding as if from a fresh laceration.

I didn't even notice anything amiss until this past mid-week.

Again, I think she is in extreme pain: practically no eating, no foraging, stopped laying, no vocalizing at all, and often reluctant to put weight on left foot.

I am not doing the vet thing and I am not going to experiment with antibiotics! I’ve done that before!

Unless any brilliant insights come, I will probably put her out of her pain by next weekend.

Too bad, she was the second bird to start laying, and was a real character in the group in summer…………

But still I post this. thank you

ETA:

I gave her a going-over yesterday with my hands, including an abdominal rub (which has brought eggs out of other birds I have so treated). No unusual lumps or bumps found anywhere on/in her underparts.

Pooped afterward. Poop is watery, as she doesn't really eat. But normal otherwise

Eggbound was my first concern. Hence my belly rub yesterday..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
You get me thinking again about the poss. of eggbinding.

Maybe I didn';t explore enough in my belly rub of the girl.

And maybe that is why she is sort of limping: maybe the internal pressure is affecting that side of her body more than the other.

I think I should try and feel closer to the vent.

But still, if she is bound, I can't do much more than another belly rub and hope for the best

She might have Bumblefoot, a serious staff type infection in her foot. That would cause the limping and swelling on the pad of the foot, but I dont know whether it would cause her other symptoms unless the infection spread.

You might find some info here:
http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/duck_care.html#illness

The site does mention something about ducks ingesting metal objects and being poisoned by the metal. The symptoms are similar, but rather generalized.

Being egg bound is usually very obvious from palpitations.

Ducks are also very resistant to infection and parasites, so I've very rarely had to treat a duck for either of those. The only thing I see a lot of is bumble foot; but that would make your duck limp all the time.

Not wanting to eat and generally lethargy makes me thinkg of two things: nutrition and/or poisoning. She may have gotten into something bad for ducks, or may be suffering from a mineral deficiency which can be common since hardly any one makes a complete waterfowl ration.

She could have bumblefoot or have broken something in her foot. Not sure it sounds like an egg issue, but if it's internal laying, you may feel nothing at all. Most of mine were just very thin and the abdomen wasn't swollen. Some had fluid in the abdomen, but that is very obvious.

If you don't want to take her to the vet I would try to bring her into the house and keep her in a warm, dry environment. Putting her in a small dog crate if you have one to keep her quiet. You can offer her treats to keep her eating like yogurt, scrambled eggs.

Thank you all!

Chel, the bottom of her foot with its small "swellings" looks much like the photo in the link you showed, only without the dark spots.

I have given her mashed hardboiled egg; won't touch it. won't even eat her regular feed!

I rubbed her belly again this pm, and there is definitely no egg held up inside her, in her fright she tried to quack, and (poor thing) nothing even came out...........

don't know how long I can let this go on.

ETA:

She has Avia Charge in her water. At least she drinks some!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I only have experience on a positive note with egg binding in a pigeon. My duck that appeared egg bound was in bad shape when I found her and I immediately put her down. With the pigeons this is the advice I followed...
------------------------------
Bring her indoors and put her in a dark, quiet place with the box on a heating pad, low. Rub a very small amount of vegetable oil on her vent to keep the mucous moist (do not put inside the bird). This will help her relax and concentrate on what she has to do.
I would suggest syringing 3CC of mineral oil down her to try to lubricate the system and induce her to eject the egg.
-------------------------------
You could try (the above) with her. It does seem strange that she's lifting her one foot. With egg binding I don't think she would have the energy to stand on one foot, even if there was internal pressure that was mostly to one side.

Most importantly, whatever the problem is, keep her hydrated. I hope you find out what it is and she makes it through.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom