chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
I have a two week old chick that is growing at a third of the rate as the rest. She’s still almost the same size as when she hatched, but her wing feathers have been growing in. Breathing is slightly labored and there is sometimes a clicking sound.

She only sleeps standing up. Will eat and drink but is lethargic and has been for over a week. I first tried nutridrench, then tried tetracycline and after 3 days with no change and a friend’s recommendation put her on corid. It’s been 4 days on corid now and she seemed to be improving on day two but has reverted back and doesn’t seem too well today.

Any idea what it could be?

Sorry about your chick not growing well. I have only heard clicking once in a chick that had suffered an injury, and had a large leaking air sac under the skin. Can you feel for any puffy areas around her neck, chest, and back? It is possible that she has some sort of heart or other problem. I would try feeding some cooked egg, probiotic plain yogurt, and wet chick feed. Continue some vitamins, such as 1/4 crushed tablet of vitamin B Complex daily in her food.

45D83B38-57EC-42EA-A810-02130D3CF8E8.jpeg
7561540C-D63C-42BF-8836-68A545EF9488.jpeg
Hey everyone, coming back to this to request more help. After a full 7 days on corid the chick didn’t seem to improve much. And she still hasn’t grown. I’m added a picture so you can see. Both pictures chicks hatched the same day.

The little one has become increasingly lethargic. She still eats and drinks and I give her nutridrench 3x daily. What else can I do? :(

The chick probably is a failure to thrive chick. The only other thing possibke would be to tube feed the chick. Even then, it may not digest or process the food. Baby bird by KayTee is sold at Walmart and pet stores. I am not sure what size tube would be appropriate for this chick, but here is some info on tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

Here is a video of feeding baby birds which is not the same as a chick eating, but it has some good ideas about equipment:

Here is one more from an amateur young man trying to feed and water a chick that cannot get to food:

I don’t have any solutions, but I am so glad I stumbled upon your post because I’m experiencing the same thing. I can tell that she’s eating and drinking and I have her on corid and electrolytes, but she’s very lethargic and just seemed to stop growing. Her feathers are still coming in, and the other chicks aren’t picking on her. She mostly sleeps standing up and she doesn’t run around or get as excited as the others. I’m interested to hear any advice!

Back
Top Bottom