2x2 was used for the chicken coop flooring

morgdanielle

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
I had someone build my chicken coop but they mistakenly used my 2x2's for the flooring instead of the roost like I planned. The plan said to use 2x4 for the flooring, so I was wondering if this will cause any trouble?
It is a walk-in chicken coop, thanks!

It will depend on both the size of the floor space and how well it is supported underneath. Extreme would be a larger area and no support underneath.

The depth of the floor board will be the same (obviously) but the width is half the size so the 2" by 2" board will flex under weight more easily than a 2" by 4". If you have this problem you could add 1" by 4" strapping boards at 90 degrees and screw them to each floor board. Placing them at 24" apart should be sufficient.

Could pose a problem. What's the spacing of the floor joists? A 2x2 will support the weight of an adult no problem and you will be standing on multiple boards at one time. You can throw plywood over the floor if it makes you feel better. 2x4 flat side up are a better size for adult chicken roosts.

Could pose a problem. What's the spacing of the floor joists? A 2x2 will support the weight of an adult no problem and you will be standing on multiple boards at one time. You can throw plywood over the floor if it makes you feel better. 2x4 flat side up are a better size for adult chicken roosts.
They are 24 inches apart

... 2x4 flat side up are a better size for adult chicken roosts.

A lot of debate on this. There are a couple of formal research studies on here that disagree saying 2.5"-3" is the best width. Also important to round the upper edges.

I find that 2" by 2" is quite flimsy once it gets over 6" in length, mine are 10`long and I used rough cut (ie full dimension) 2" by 3", works well although even those will flex if it is full of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom