3 1/2 week old Chick, help! weak legs, opening mouth to breathe?

BlessedmamaAELE

Songster
Apr 12, 2019
I have an Olive Egger Cockrel that all
Of the sudden 3 days ago started getting weak in the legs and breathing from its mouth. (Not yawning or panting.). Also shaking head every now and then. Very sleepy, and no real strength in legs. Still eating, but not really drinking. I’ve been giving fluids with a dropper every 2 hours. Electrolytes, b12 and a bit of oregano oil. As well as some fresh herbs like dill, basil, and thyme which are supposed to be respiratory aids. I’m not sure if this is respiratory or Cocci, or something else! Right now he is quarantined with food, water, and heat lamp. Help! Any ideas what this could be and treatment?

I have an Olive Egger Cockrel that all
Of the sudden 3 days ago started getting weak in the legs and breathing from its mouth. (Not yawning or panting.). Also shaking head every now and then. Very sleepy, and no real strength in legs. Still eating, but not really drinking. I’ve been giving fluids with a dropper every 2 hours. Electrolytes, b12 and a bit of oregano oil. As well as some fresh herbs like dill, basil, and thyme which are supposed to be respiratory aids. I’m not sure if this is respiratory or Cocci, or something else! Right now he is quarantined with food, water, and heat lamp. Help! Any ideas what this could be and treatment?
How old is he?
Can you post some photos of what he looks like and of his poop?
What do you normally feed including treats?
Any coughing, sneezing, mucous or watery eyes?
Inside of beak is clear of canker or sores?
Crop is empty in the morning?

How old is he?
Can you post some photos of what he looks like and of his poop?
What do you normally feed including treats?
Any coughing, sneezing, mucous or watery eyes?
Inside of beak is clear of canker or sores?
Crop is empty in the morning?

I got him at TSC, so I’m not 100 sure but I’ve had him 3 weeks, and his feathers, he he looks to me about 4 weeks. His poop looks normal, was a little dryer than normal. No treats other than the occasional outdoors treat while roaming a bit. Chick grit and Southern States Chick Feed. Other than that just fresh herbs to try and get him well. He does shake his head every once in a while and sort of sounds like a sneeze. But not often. I couldn’t see anything in his mouth that look unusual. He is very weak but still quite alert. Keeps getting stuck on his back. Still chirping. He can extend and press his legs out but can’t stand and isn’t balancing himself very well With his wings either. Day 4. No mucous or Watery eyes no blood in stool. I have tried checking his crop and it seems empty, but I’m not sure how exactly it should feel. (New to this.) would the canker sores be inside his mouth out outside? Thank you for responding!!

I got him at TSC, so I’m not 100 sure but I’ve had him 3 weeks, and his feathers, he he looks to me about 4 weeks. His poop looks normal, was a little dryer than normal. No treats other than the occasional outdoors treat while roaming a bit. Chick grit and Southern States Chick Feed. Other than that just fresh herbs to try and get him well. He does shake his head every once in a while and sort of sounds like a sneeze. But not often. I couldn’t see anything in his mouth that look unusual. He is very weak but still quite alert. Keeps getting stuck on his back. Still chirping. He can extend and press his legs out but can’t stand and isn’t balancing himself very well With his wings either. Day 4. No mucous or Watery eyes no blood in stool. I have tried checking his crop and it seems empty, but I’m not sure how exactly it should feel. (New to this.) would the canker sores be inside his mouth out outside? Thank you for responding!!

Going to get some Corid and Antibiotic today, and see if it helps. Here’s some pics and videos.
I don't see photos or video?:(

So he keeps ending up on his back and can't right himself?
I think I would start the Corid, it could be Coccidiosis. Not sure about an antibiotic, don't know if that would help.
I would get some vitamin E into him - 400IU daily along with a little egg, see that he's eating his chick starter.
Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

6D1F4BEF-15C1-4BD3-A5FF-D1C73EA1BFFD.jpeg
BB37FE85-1A6B-462B-A9C7-7672D951E8AC.jpeg
6D1F4BEF-15C1-4BD3-A5FF-D1C73EA1BFFD.jpeg
6D497481-EF79-495E-BCD4-21DC72938C96.jpeg
75C5C343-C299-4E1D-8BDB-30DFD6FC31F5.jpeg

I don't see photos or video?:(

So he keeps ending up on his back and can't right himself?
I think I would start the Corid, it could be Coccidiosis. Not sure about an antibiotic, don't know if that would help.
I would get some vitamin E into him - 400IU daily along with a little egg, see that he's eating his chick starter.
Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
Sorry, i thought the pictures posted, videos were “too big”. Pics are posted now. He doesn’t have bloody or foamy stool so I wasn’t sure of Cocci. But I did get Corid. Won’t hurt to at least dose him with it. And the others in case. I also got Terra-Vet 200 Oxytetracyline, but haven’t figured the dose yet to give. My hubby is the math wiz. I will start with Corid and your dosing! Will check out vitamin E too. And yes, he gets stuck on his back and can’t right himself. But not all the time. He seems a tiny bit stronger today. But maybe it’s my imagination. Luckily I’m checking him often. Thank you so much for your help. If after you see photos you have any other ideas, please let me know. . Hope we can save this little one.

Sorry, i thought the pictures posted, videos were “too big”. Pics are posted now. He doesn’t have bloody or foamy stool so I wasn’t sure of Cocci. But I did get Corid. Won’t hurt to at least dose him with it. And the others in case. I also got Terra-Vet 200 Oxytetracyline, but haven’t figured the dose yet to give. My hubby is the math wiz. I will start with Corid and your dosing! Will check out vitamin E too. And yes, he gets stuck on his back and can’t right himself. But not all the time. He seems a tiny bit stronger today. But maybe it’s my imagination. Luckily I’m checking him often. Thank you so much for your help. If after you see photos you have any other ideas, please let me know. . Hope we can save this little one.
Sorry...for video, upload to youtube or similar platform then provide a link - the BYC video thing does not work at all:(

Coccidiosis does not always present as bloody stool - there are 9 strains and iirc, only 2 of those strains present with blood. Usually poop is loose and mucousy but then again, behavior is a good indicator as well.

Getting stuck on the back sounds neurological this is why I suggest Vitamin E and egg.
Normally you would also give b-complex, but if you are going to treat for Coccidiosis then I would hold off on the B vitamins until you finish treatment.

You may find some helpful, I don't remember if Kathy has Terra Vet 200 listed or not
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/oxytetracyline-and-tetracycline-powder-doses.1022878/

Back
Top Bottom