3 day old chick seems to be choking on something!

Breo

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2017
My 3 day old chick keeps gagging, I can't see anything sticking out of its beak. I already tried the oil method but it didn't do anything I think it worsen she was chirping at first but now she won't even chirp, she seems like she has gotten weaker and is just laying still gagging she kinda shakes her head once in a while pls is there anything I can do?

IS she drinking water on her own.
You have to be extremely careful putting anything into a chicks mouth..it can go down the wrong pipe.
Try holding a spoon with water in/on it to her beak to see if she will drink that.

She wouldn't drink water on her own she just kept gagging, I dipped my finger in water and held it up to her beak and she did take some. she is chirping again but still gagging she is also standing up again

If she's not drinking on her own, try dipping the tip of her beak into the water... it helps her find where it's at and she should start to drink on her own

Should I just keep offering water? Will it just pass on its own? She seems exhausted from gagging , when I touch her to check if she's still alive she chirps a little

I would definitely keep offering it. When my chickens were little chicks they drank quite a bit of water. You can try simply placing a small container - maybe even something similar to the size of a milk cap - filled with water right in front of her so if she decides to drink it, it's right there and she won't have to strain herself. Again, however, I would dip her beak into the water so she knows it's there.

I wish her a quick recovery, and you and your husband comfort! I know how stressful situations like this one can be.

She won't take the water :/ she can't stop gagging she's just laying there gagging. This is the first chick I've ever owned I rescued it since the mom rejected it, yes pretty stressful situation

I've been looking at vets near me I still need to find a ride though as they are kinda far I just hope she makes it how costly would it be for a chick?

Back
Top Bottom