3 day old chick, yawning, panting or gulping?

Thegirlsclub

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Hi I have brand new chicks the 3day old buff Orpington keeps opening her mouth wide, she will do it once or twice in a row. I've seen her do it when she wakes from a nap. Just now the thermometer said 95 under the light she was the only chick on the light side and she looked like she was panting. I picked her up and put her next to the water. She took a sip and seems fine. I have been concerned all day but am hoping someone can tell me if this is normal.

She was on paper towels for 2 days but today changed to pine shavings. This began yesterday which was our first day with her. Thank you for being here

I just bought my chicks last sat. During the next day I noticed quite a few of them panting, despite the availability of fresh water. There were also cooler parts of the box they could have laid in but continued to lay huddled under the warmer spots. I was quite worried but also quite nervous still about the heat lamp as I wasn't use to it. We work and go to school for the better half of the day so I didn't want to move it from the secure spot I had it in. I also didn't want my chicks to get cold if I shut it off for a bit as I had just got them. I let it go for a little bit to see if it subsided and I never seen another problem other than that one day, even though they are bigger and more active, not to mention the lamp has never been raised or shut off once.

I'm not sure, but I think my lamp was hotter in the first 24-36 hours of use. If the problem persists I would probably move it up, or just make sure there are cooler areas for them that aren't really affected by the light. If it's more than they can handle they should hide behind something or lay in a cooler corner on their own, from what I've gathered anyways..

As far as the yawning, I can't really say but have questions also..lol. My gold sebright was doing something similar just this morning. I've never seen her do it before. I was holding her and every time she would start to fall asleep & wake back up she would do it. At first I thought this was yawning, but then she started doing it every 20-30 seconds and I realized it didn't really look like yawning. It honestly looked like an imitation of crowing without sound. It would open it's mouth really wide as if calling and stretch it's neck up when doing it. I've had suspicions of this one being a cockerel, so I'm wondering if despite the young age this could be an early indication. It's all I could make out of the odd action. lol.

Of course I just read in another thread that the yawning could be them "adjusting their crops" as well. So this could explain the actions I witnessed. The manner in which it was done was just very odd..lol. This chick, which I had my heart set on the moment I seen it, seems to have many interesting characteristics. I don't know if this is a sex difference, or if despite being the small bantam has become "top hen". : )

Oh thank you guys. Honestly I don't remember being this nervous as a new mom!
LOL though that was 25 years ago.....

That all makes sense to me about the food thing and that is exactly how it looked to me like she was trying to say something :). Now today she won't drink and I've tried several things to try to,get her to do it too. I moistened their food so at least I know she has gotten some liquid. She is the youngest and sleeps the most so I'm becoming a real overprotective ma here

Thanks again for responding

Back
Top Bottom