3 day old duckling swollen belly button and can’t walk

My Muscovy hatched 4/25 eggs fine and they’re healthy but then she abandoned her nest when several others had internally pipped. After 24 hours of no progress we assisted hatching.

One of the ducklings yolk sac detached quickly and now his belly is swollen 3 days later. He isn’t walking or lifting his head. He eats a lot but I have to hold his head up while he eats (starter and cooked chicken yolk).

Other than adding vitamins to the water, keeping him warm and giving him cooked yolk for protein. What else can I do? Is it worth continuing what we are doing when he seems so miserable or it possible he will survive?
@Breemae123 How is the duckling today?

I decided to soak him for a bit because he had dried yolk stuck to his butt and I thought it would make it difficult to poop and the water has worms floating in it...

Attachments

• 5939617D-2EE4-4F9C-8D0F-28397CC2C98E.jpeg
    5939617D-2EE4-4F9C-8D0F-28397CC2C98E.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 42
My Muscovy hatched 4/25 eggs fine and they’re healthy but then she abandoned her nest when several others had internally pipped. After 24 hours of no progress we assisted hatching.

One of the ducklings yolk sac detached quickly and now his belly is swollen 3 days later. He isn’t walking or lifting his head. He eats a lot but I have to hold his head up while he eats (starter and cooked chicken yolk).

Other than adding vitamins to the water, keeping him warm and giving him cooked yolk for protein. What else can I do? Is it worth continuing what we are doing when he seems so miserable or it possible he will survive?

Not sure how to update. The little guy just passed away. :(

if it helps anyone in the future I had this happen. Chick was born with yolk un absorbed. Sat in a bowl wrapped in kitchen roll & warm water in incubator for almost 2days. Most of yolk absorbed the last bit was starting to look grim and worried about infection so snipped off. Chick then just lay there for 6-12hrs & I was getting worried as it seemed to be running out of energy. Mixed up a solution of manuka honey, cider vinegar & water & dropper fed as much as I could (which wasn’t much) salt bathed & just put savlon on kept dropper feeding & applying savlon for another 12 hrs & then the following morning it had fluffed up & started standing & trying to walk (badly lol) I held her & held my hands out ready to support or catch her when necessary, she got there after a while although still the clumsiest duck I’ve ever seen & loudest I think 🙄🤦‍♀️😂. Anyone else in a similar situation-Don’t give up just yet, if they’re still fighting…..

Back
Top Bottom