3 Hens 4 Eggs

Nellzmom

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2020
North Carolina
I have 3 8-month old barred rock pullets: Violet, Emma Jane, and Bertha. They have a 4x4 coop w/ two nest boxes over a 4x8 run and an added 30 sq foot run. I feed Purina Flock Raiser w/oyster shell available always. On days with temps in the mid to low 20s, they get a handful of grubblies or about 1/4 cup cracked corn late afternoon. They also forage in a 4x8 tractor for 1-2 hours each day.

Violet started laying first, & laid her egg early morning. Emma Jane started laying next about a week later, usually around noon. There have been a few days without eggs, but otherwise pretty regular. Bertha (who I mistakenly thought laid the very 1st egg) hasn’t laid until today — or possibly yesterday.

Yesterday Violet & EJ laid their morning eggs as usual. I checked the coop around 4 pm to see if it needed tidying, & found two perfect eggs in one nest box, making 4 eggs for the day. Even if Bertha started laying yesterday, somebody was up one egg.

I had recently read & saved azygous’s article on egg problems, so I gave each one a cal citrate. Today I got 3 eggs: one at 8 am, one between 11 & noon, and one between noon & 3. All normal shells & size.

Question: should I just monitor or go ahead and give cal citrate to everyone daily for 7-10 days? Don’t want to over do the calcium, but I REALLY don’t want to risk egg binding or prolapse.
Thanks.

Why would you give extra calcium for an 'extra' egg.....was one of the eggs a softie?

No softies, all eggs were normal. From what I’ve read on BYC & other places, an extra egg isn’t good. I’m all for avoiding scenarios that include sticking my fingers up a chicken’s nether regions :oops:

It's pretty common for new layers to have 'glitches' while their systems work things out. One of them may have had an egg a little delayed in the pipe and another ended up close behind it, it happens. They sound like they are normal and doing well, try not to worry. Save the calcium citrate for a bonifide issue like soft shelled or no shelled eggs, or a case of egg binding, in which cases the symptoms are very obvious. In over ten years I've honestly only had to give calcium a handful of times, I also feed flock raiser and have oystershell available all the time.

It's pretty common for new layers to have 'glitches' while their systems work things out. One of them may have had an egg a little delayed in the pipe and another ended up close behind it, it happens. They sound like they are normal and doing well, try not to worry. Save the calcium citrate for a bonifide issue like soft shelled or no shelled eggs, or a case of egg binding, in which cases the symptoms are very obvious. In over ten years I've honestly only had to give calcium a handful of times, I also feed flock raiser and have oystershell available all the time.

Based on the responses, I figured I’d jumped the gun. It’s really helpful to hear someone with years of experience say how often they’ve faced these situations. Andthe articles will be a godsend if/when they’re actually needed. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom