What makes you think it’s fowl pox specifically?
Our old flock had gotten fowl pox before, it was really ugly but passed by eventually. So I know what it looks like. Our chickens are getting dark dry crusty spots on their faces and combs. They are all as active as always, eating and drinking fine.

*Edit: Okay is there different kind of pox? Because in the past I read about some that is harmless and goes after a few weeks. But I just did another research and there are things about how it kills?

Last edited:
Can you post any pictures of chickens with pox? I would agree that this looks and sounds like possible MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum.) Where are you located?
I don't have any pics atm, but it is just the dark crusty scabby things on their faces. We are located in Florida

Pox is usually common in Florida and in warm climates when mosquitoes are a problem. It is more common in summer and fall. Dry pox causes beige to tan to dark brown scabs on the head, face, comb, and wattles. It does go away after about a month. Eyes may be affected and scabs can block their vision, which prevents them from finding food and water. The wet version of fowl pox is less common and it can cause yellow cheesy material inside the beak and throat. That type is more deadly, since birds do no eat or drink well. Chickens that get pox are usually immune to that strain of pox virus later. Their is a vaccine available. Here is some info on pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Another update: They do have fowl pox but now another chicken is wheezing sneezing and has a bubbly eye. Probably more to come 😩 (Image- that white part under the eye is a balding spot) I thought this wouldn't be as bad but now that I know it's contagious... It's quite weird as that little chicken has been with them before and nobody got sick. Maybe something new arised?
20210124_094006.jpg

Does she have any lesions inside her beak?

Fowl Pox can spread through a flock. The article @Eggcessive linked for you is very good. Consider sanitizing the water per the article as well.

It's very possible that you may be dealing with Fowl Pox and respiratory disease, without testing it would be hard to know.
I would keep the eyes clean on this one and consider treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin to help control infection.

Does she have any lesions inside her beak?

Fowl Pox can spread through a flock. The article @Eggcessive linked for you is very good. Consider sanitizing the water per the article as well.

It's very possible that you may be dealing with Fowl Pox and respiratory disease, without testing it would be hard to know.
I would keep the eyes clean on this one and consider treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin to help control infection.
Nope I checked her mouth and it looks normal. Are all respiratory diseases fatal? And if they do recover will they be a "carrier"? Where can I get Tylosin?

Respiratory disease make birds carriers except for Infectious Bronchitis which they can carry for up to a year. Not all are fatal but there can be long term impacts on health and/or production. Some cull birds that are symptomatic while others do treat symptoms and close their flock. A lot depends on your goals. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Tylosin can be ordered online. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Update: The easter egger hen has died. Now another 3 month old has bubbly eye. I just noticed today that one of my sebright hens has a swollen eye. No discharge but it seems to be a bit painful for her. The pox is still going around. I thought that maybe this would of just been the pox and their getting infections from scratching it but now I don't know. Does it still sound like mycoplasma? Our other 40 chickens that stay with them are fine but we do separate them as we notice problems.

Back
Top Bottom