3 part staggered hatch, Wynette, Speckledhen, scbatz33 eggs new photos

Aaahhh, home from work. I just checked the bators. The humidity dropped while I was at work. They were down to 27%. I hope it doesn't mess everything up! They were fine when I left for work. Darn it! My aim is 35%.

Got some work done on the coops with my dear dear DH home! I hate that he has to travel every other week. He put the "doors," on the ventilation areas of the big coop. They are on hinges, and if we need to, we can close them off for short periods of time. We left tarps up also, mostly for rain. Still need to paint them. I posted new pictures on my BYC page.

I have started a couple new BYC pages. One for the Jersey Giants, and one for the Silkies. I will start the Delawares page soon. Then, the Marans page. And coops, oh geez, I'm gonna have to have a couple pages for them! ha I have tons of pictures. Oh, and a page for eggs. Yea, I think I will do one of those. Todays photo shoot turned out too dark for me. I'll get better pictures and change them out.

I've been getting about 18 eggs a day, from the hatchery birds .... our very first chickens. The 6 Easter Eggers are still not laying. They are 23 weeks old now.
Here is a picture of an egg that a gal at work gave me, from her "white chicken named clucky!" HUGE. I wish I had weighed it. Oh well...
31282_chicken_pictures_317.jpg

Yup, it was a double yolker!

31282_chicken_pictures_320.jpg

Ooohhh, I'm excited.
2uge4p4.gif
I candled and all looks good! It is day 13 for the eggs from Wynette, and they look great. I was even able to see a swimmer in one of the dark Marans eggs! Way cool! I absolutely can not see a thing (except air cell) in the olive eggs and one of those is really a large irregular shaped one.

Every single Lavender Orpington project egg has veining (day # 11). I didn't expect that, because they were packaged lighter than the others. Buy hey, it worked!

Day 5 for the Delawares, Speckledhen's eggs. They all look good, except 1 is a maybe. I will check again on day 10. I thought I posted a picture already, but neglected to. Here they are, the BIG Delawares: (See Smokey's long egg!)
31282_oct_19_2009_delaware_eggs_003.jpg

Got more work done on the, "breeder's lodge!" DH made the ventilation covers. They are hinged and will stay open, except in the most severe cold. Still have to prime and paint them. He also added another ceiling light, and another outlet to reach over to the "Silkie Palace." Now I have electricity in all the 3 main coops. The 2 little coops aren't in use right now. Here are pictures of the Silkie's coop I made from my "salvage lot!" Still needs primed and painted, of course. I did this entirely by myself (except the metal roof).
31282_oct_19_2009_marans_jg_chicks_coops_002.jpg

31282_oct_16_2009_chicks_silkie_coop_buff_silkies_etc_028.jpg

It is attached to the big building (breeder pens). That worked out well, to put electricty to it for the winter water heater. That's another project I still need to do .... make the water heaters out of the cookie tins! Ohhhh, so much to do!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Wynette,
I can't even express how excited I am! I can hardly wait! You are hatching now, aren't you? What are you hatching? Do you hatch all winter?

I am spending this time (while incubating) trying to increase my knowledge in SOP and genetics. Books are helpful, but feedback and insight from this site are invaluable! Tell me all the tidbits you can think of!

Hey, Kathy! You're right; there's a ton of info. on here, for sure! All that I've learned has come from finding reputable breeders who also show; I ask tons of questions about what they are breeding for, faults they are working on overcoming, which areas their birds excell in, conformation-wise, etc. Most good breeders are more than happy to share this info. with potential buyers!

I'm expecting eggs tomorrow morning, and will set them just before bed, most likely. I bought eggs from one of the best Jersey lines out there - Golda Miller's. I was going to hatch eggs from my current line, as I need more pullets, but decided to introduce a new, even better line, so they should be even stronger next year. I'm pretty excited!

I'm anxious for your hatch - it's just as exciting for me to watch someone else hatch my eggs as it is for me to hatch my own, or even MORESO sometimes!
big_smile.png

Here it is, Saturday. On Monday (day 18) I will begin lockdown! Ohhhh, it is getting closer. I am getting more excited the closer it gets! I am not going to candle again until Monday, as I begin lockdown.

Lockdown, or, IBW (Intense Bator Watch) as I call it! I actually think Speckledhen coined the phrase...the last 3 days are the longest! Can't wait to hear your results!

BEST of hatching vibes coming your way!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom