3 Sick chickens- help!

JORLEE23

Chirping
Sep 13, 2022
Hi Everyone

I am having one heck of a time with my chickens!
I currently have 3 that are battling sickness.

I have 1 that is not putting any pressure on his foot- there is no sign of infection or anything and I have been giving them vitamins to hopefully help but he is still the same..

I have another 1 who looks to have an eye infection his eye is completely closed.. same thing with him I have been giving him medication.

I have a 3rd one who seems to have torn their tendon or something.. in the past few days I have noticed her wing is out, she is barely moving and is very lope sided. She has slowly moving but has not strength in the one side.

All three of them are still eating and drinking and talking! which is good but I am concerned for my little guys.

but I am trying to figure out what is going on with them!?

I currently have them isolated from the rest of the flock.

I have included the best pictures I can for them.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 308100468_841380927304187_3219086333363968996_n.jpg
    308100468_841380927304187_3219086333363968996_n.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 311941184_618744939863228_2908568280230947065_n.jpg
    311941184_618744939863228_2908568280230947065_n.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 284268213_2011388542400747_3499515000799892789_n.jpg
    284268213_2011388542400747_3499515000799892789_n.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 3
I am currently adding peditaylte to their waters and vet rx on their wings

I'm also flushing the eye out twice a day.

The 3 are also being given ammoxicillin.

I appreciate you taking the time to help !

What strength is the amoxicillin dose? 250mg is the recommended dose per day and is given from seven to ten days. Have you seen any improvement on it yet?

Try the B-complex for the leg issues. It has the best chance of making a difference in lameness that appears mysterious. I've had chickens completely recover after four weeks on B-100 complex.

For the eye, try Neosporin in the eye twice a day since you won't be able to buy an antibiotic for the eye without a prescription. This is in addition to flushing it.

If I knew where you're located, I might be able to find a lab for your to call. I can't stress enough how important it is to get to the bottom of this. It could be the difference between losing the rest of your chickens or not.

Darn. I don't have access to a list of animal testing labs in Canada. But the easiest way to find a testing lab is to contact your federal department of agriculture or a university extension office dealing with agriculture and ask where you can get a farm animal tested and a necropsy. It would be a fraction of the cost of a vet to try to find out what is killing these chickens of yours. Then, you might be able to do something about it knowing what it is. We can guess 'til the cows come home and never figure it out.

It appears you have been making threads about these three for a couple months now. Their issues may or may not be related, but having three sick at the same time points to possible environmental factors.

First, it would be helpful to know your location. Second, what are you feeding the flock, including any treats? Third, what is your water source? Well or city tap water?

Do your chickens have access to a compost pile? Are there any machines sitting around leaking fluids onto the soil? What sort of bedding is in the coops and run and how often are these facilities cleaned?

I am located in Canada with a 2 acre property

The coop is quite big and they have a big enclosure

Their coop is cleaned out twice a week. I originally had straw in the coop but I changed it to pine shavings.
They are being fed rolling acres starter food as they are only about 3 to 4 months old and others suggested this.

They also have 4 separate clean city water 4galllon watering cans no compost or anything around for them to get in.
We had 5 other chickens before this will no issues!

I'm starting to think it's actually the breeder I got them from.. they were raised inside a basement so I'm sure they were not exposed to the outside what so ever.

Just very discouraging and hoping to help these poor guys

I certainly do understand the frustration you must be feeling. Knowing what's wrong is more than half the battle, but you aren't getting that advantage.

What medication are you giving the patient with the eye issue? That may be the most easily treated of the three. Flush with saline eye wash twice a day and use an antibiotic eye ointment twice a day in the eye if you aren't already doing that. And what vitamins are you giving the ones with leg issues?

The leg issues are more difficult to diagnose and treat. About a third of the time these are not treatable if they are symptoms of an avian virus. Another one-third of the time they are caused by vitamin deficiency and can be treated with high potency B-complex. If this is the root of the problem, it will take four to six weeks of vitamin therapy to see improvement.

The last cause of leg issues is injury. They can be more difficult to diagnose and treat than the other two, and often they just need rest to heal.

There is another cause of lameness. Petroleum distillates. If a chicken picks up grit coated with oil or other automotive fluids, it can cause paralysis. If there are any machines in the vicinity of the chickens that leak fluids onto the dirt, that could be behind the leg issues. There's no treatment to reverse the neurological damage this causes.

I certainly do understand the frustration you must be feeling. Knowing what's wrong is more than half the battle, but you aren't getting that advantage.

What medication are you giving the patient with the eye issue? That may be the most easily treated of the three. Flush with saline eye wash twice a day and use an antibiotic eye ointment twice a day in the eye if you aren't already doing that. And what vitamins are you giving the ones with leg issues?

The leg issues are more difficult to diagnose and treat. About a third of the time these are not treatable if they are symptoms of an avian virus. Another one-third of the time they are caused by vitamin deficiency and can be treated with high potency B-complex. If this is the root of the problem, it will take four to six weeks of vitamin therapy to see improvement.

The last cause of leg issues is injury. They can be more difficult to diagnose and treat than the other two, and often they just need rest to heal.

There is another cause of lameness. Petroleum distillates. If a chicken picks up grit coated with oil or other automotive fluids, it can cause paralysis. If there are any machines in the vicinity of the chickens that leak fluids onto the dirt, that could be behind the leg issues. There's no treatment to reverse the neurological damage this causes.
Just giving a quick update-

Unfortunately we lost the black one today his injury was justt too bad screaming in pain :( so we had go make the tough decision to euthanize

Our other chicken with the eye infection seems to be getting worse 🥺 this is the most recent photo of her she can't keep her head up.....not sure what to do at this point- she is very sick...I am constantly flushing her eye out as yellow pus is coming out..

My third one that I suspect has bumble foot is still strong but starting to loose control of that foot.. he's falling forward...

Very sad as we have lost 2 chickens in the last week.. and possibly this guy soon.

Attachments

• 20221024_214850.jpg
    20221024_214850.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 2
Both chickens in that photo are dying. This is sounding more like a very serious avian virus. You would be wise to take the sicker one to an animal testing lab and ask for a necropsy. They will euthanize and the testing will be very accurate with such a fresh "specimen".

Back
Top Bottom