3 week old Americanas, out side housing?

Ben_2288

Chirping
Jul 10, 2018
I have 11 3 week old Americana chicks from tsc, I have a coop that can house the chicks and it's in an area with a brooady hen so more chicks coming. My question or idea is to put the light out there and have it on at night only. The nights are cool so I will put In the broader tub sideways so that can sleep. Here is the space
20180818_182704.jpg
20180824_194104.jpg

The other chickens in the picture will be moved to the big coop.

That looks like mighty tight living quarters for 11+ chickens. Is the photo just a portion of the entire coop? Do they have access to a run or free range?

Once the chicks have grown in their feathers, there will be no need for an additional heat source.

Your broody hen is likely to injure or kill the chicks who aren't hers, especially in tight quarters. Having them outside with a brooder plate is fine, but next to the others, separated by a fence. They can see and be seen, and integrate into the flock when they are a few weeks older. How about more pictures of your coop?
Mary

I've been turning off the light inside and they do stay calm and huddled together a night.
I am in central Georgia and I put mine out at 10 days and they do fine.... Once a bird has feathers, it can keep it's temperature pretty well regulated. Chicks need heat at first, but they pretty quickly do not need as much of it as initially, and it tapers off daily to where once they have feathers, you don't need to be heating them. (at this time of year)

Your broody hen is likely to injure or kill the chicks who aren't hers, especially in tight quarters. Having them outside with a brooder plate is fine, but next to the others, separated by a fence. They can see and be seen, and integrate into the flock when they are a few weeks older. How about more pictures of your coop?
Mary
The broady hen is in the hall way coop si I placed them under the roofing in a cage like you guys said
20180827_110735.jpg
20180827_110809.jpg

Back
Top Bottom