3 Week old Chick Update! Please Read!!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Hello!
So, my chicks won’t technically 3 weeks old until Friday, but I’m close enough! :oops: They are getting bigger by the minute it seems! I have a cardboard box in their brooder full of dirt. The dust bathe and scratch around in it. I have one question:
I have been WAITING to take them on a “field trip” outdoors. It is 65 degrees Fahrenheit here. When can I take the outside for the first time??? Are they too young now? If y’all have any tips or questions, please ask!!

65F is plenty warm enough for chicks the age of yours. Just be sure they aren't in any chilling air currents and if there is direct sun, that they also have a spot of shade to shed excess heat they have absorbed.

Watch for signs they are beginning to chill and then bring them back inside. But you should be surprised at how long they will be able to stay out and still be very comfortable.

And of course, predator protection!

65F is plenty warm enough for chicks the age of yours. Just be sure they aren't in any chilling air currents and if there is direct sun, that they also have a spot of shade to shed excess heat they have absorbed.

Watch for signs they are beginning to chill and then bring them back inside. But you should be surprised at how long they will be able to stay out and still be very comfortable.

Oh my yaaaaaay!!!!! I have literally been WAITING for someone to say that!!!! :celebrate:ya:ya:wee:yesss::celebrate

Yep watch them closely and they should be fine outside for a short while. I like to take chicks out when they are a week old for just a couple of minutes to let them see the sun and peck at the soil. It's good for their immune systems, I've heard.

One issue relates to how many chicks you have and how you plan on taking them outside...if you set them down on the ground and you have more than a couple of chicks you could end up chasing them around for ages to try to herd them back, lol. They can be surprisingly fast!

X2! They'll love it.

One issue relates to how many chicks you have and how you plan on taking them outside...if you set them down on the ground and you have more than a couple of chicks you could end up chasing them around for ages to try to herd them back, lol. They can be surprisingly fast!
I have a sturdy run I plan to keep them in for the time outside! It has some shade. And yes, they’re speeding bullets!

I have a sturdy run I plan to keep them in for the time outside! It has some shade. And yes, they’re speeding bullets!
I have a styrofoam cooler that I transport them in!

Back
Top Bottom