3 week old rhode island reds

kimbroad

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am new to raising chickens and have had my 3 rhode island red girls in the brooder for just over 3 weeks. I've just got their coop and set it up in the garage which is currently at a temp of around 18c/65f. I have set them up with a heat lamp hanging from the ceiling and hot water bottle and they seem really happy in their new coop.

I'm just worried they will be too cold as they haven't got all their feathers yet. If I keep the heat lamp on them in the garage (it has no door so wind will come in). In your opinion will they be ok? Or shall I return them to the brooder?

Thanks for your help!
Kim

Hi everyone,

I am new to raising chickens and have had my 3 rhode island red girls in the brooder for just over 3 weeks. I've just got their coop and set it up in the garage which is currently at a temp of around 18c/65f. I have set them up with a heat lamp hanging from the ceiling and hot water bottle and they seem really happy in their new coop.

I'm just worried they will be too cold as they haven't got all their feathers yet. If I keep the heat lamp on them in the garage (it has no door so wind will come in). In your opinion will they be ok? Or shall I return them to the brooder?

Thanks for your help!
Kim
3 weeks is too young. I don't move mine out until at least 8-9wks. At that time, I start weaning them off the chick starter/grower, & switch them to a balanced grain diet with treats in between.

What has no door, the coop or garage? also, if your coop doesn't have a door, why doesn't it? There are predators who LOVE chicken, raccoons, possums, weasels, fox, dogs, and coyotes, just to name a few. My girls are locked up in Fort Knox every dusk, I've been keeping chickens for almost 3yrs and have had no loses. I started with 3 Rhode Island Reds, they're my favorite hens, they know when I get home from work and start begging for mealworms, I can pick them up and cuddle them without them protesting. I bought a pre-fab coop and quickly realized, I needed something more secure, so I built my own coop with ideas from this site. I would be cautious about putting a heat lamp in a coop, there are many horror stories about coop fires, plus you don't want your garage going up in flames too! I don't put my pullets out until they're 8-10wks old. I would keep them in the brooder a while longer, just my opinion and experience. I now have 7 hens, watch out for chicken math, there are so many breeds I still want to own :jumpy

Welcome!
A heat lamp or brooder plate is still needed, until they are feathered out in another three weeks or so.
Do have everything set up with safety in mind, both the heater, and the coop to prevent predation. It's very easy to underestimate risks from predation, and many of us (including me!) have learned through horrible experiences.
Pictures of your set-up will be helpful here too.
Mary

Hi, thanks for all the replies. The garage used to have a door on the side but it was damaged and removed but the coop itself is fully enclosed and protected. I've attached some pics here. I didn't mention before but I suspect two girls are older than 3 weeks as they have feathered out more. I bought them as chicks so assumed they were all the same age - but it has become clear that two are much bigger. I have a hot water bottle im changing every few hours and a heat lamp on them outside. They seem fine just don't want to make a mistake because I adore them so much already and want to keep them healthy and happy. Any feedback would be so appreciated :)

Attachments

• DSCN8997.jpg
    DSCN8997.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN8987.jpg
    DSCN8987.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN8982.jpg
    DSCN8982.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 105
It's nice! Is that hardware cloth covered by those wood strips, screwed in? That's good!
Your chicks are cute, and at that awkward stage, so more pictures later, when they are feathered out.
Mary
Thanks Mary, yes it is hardware cloth then pine wood shaving on top. They are at that awkward stage of development and hilarious looking. They wake me each morning chirping for extra treats. I'm so in love! I will share more photos as they grow for sure. Here are some of my favs attached :)

Attachments

• DSCN8925.jpg
    DSCN8925.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN8922.jpg
    DSCN8922.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN8916.jpg
    DSCN8916.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN8912.jpg
    DSCN8912.jpg