3 Wk old chick with dry poo/sore looking bum problem

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
sad.png
This little girl acts fine, she was my pasty butt chick, and I would rinse her off and apply a little olive oil on her bum. That little problem seemed to have gone away basically. Now her poo seems dryer than the others and slower to come out. Her vent area is pinker and more pronounced.

Anything else I should be aware of? I did put weak mixture of molasses in their water and a little ACV. Should I mix that together or one at a time? Like I said before, she is lively and keeps up with the others, but her little butt looks more sensitive than the others.

BTW I have a mix of chicks, four altogether, and I have no idea what she could be, I'm guessing While leghorn type. Are they known to have a problem with this? Any insight from you all would be appreciated.

I'm just hoping she isn't going to be one of those chicks with vent/egg issues when she matures.
sad.png

Awwww poor baby!

My hens usually get runny poop when I give them molasses. So
hu.gif
IDK I mix a little olive oil into my hens daily warm mash (to (hopefully) prevent a compacted crop).

It might help to make your chickies poo a little 'slippery' if you added some olive oil to some oatmeal.

Good luck with your chickie!
smile.png

The one chick whose butt I oiled seems to be pinker. I think it makes the down more see-though so you can see their pink skin. There's definitely nothing wrong with this baby, she's growing feathers fast!

Back
Top Bottom