3 year-old Barred Rock Molting & stopped laying

Lauryn229

Songster
6 Years
Apr 12, 2017
South Florida
My Plymouth Barred Rock is 3 years and two months old. About 4 weeks ago, we went out of town for 10 days. While away, we think she was molting and did not lay a single egg. She is mostly a free range backyard chicken and eats Purina Layena feed everyday. When we got back, She had many new feathers coming in (slight change to coloring) and bald spots where she had pulled some out. I am wondering if part of it was stress from us being away. We live in South Florida so chickens sometimes molt at weird months here since we barely have changing seasons.

Now she looks totally healthy again but still no eggs. I am sad as she was a very consistent egg layer for the last 2+ years. I have read Barred rocks can lay for up to 5 years.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Also, we have two new pullets who were completely separate from her during this time. They have a separate coop and feed but we have recently allowed them to free range the yard at the same time for a few hours a day.

Here’s a picture of her yesterday, you can see she still doesn’t have all her tail feathers
CFEA3173-CD4B-44D9-A40E-155C6DD891C5.png
back.

Good still be growing back,check for mites.It can take a few weeks or a month or so for them to get back to laying after a molt.

My Plymouth Barred Rock is 3 years and two months old. About 4 weeks ago, we went out of town for 10 days. While away, we think she was molting and did not lay a single egg. She is mostly a free range backyard chicken and eats Purina Layena feed everyday. When we got back, She had many new feathers coming in (slight change to coloring) and bald spots where she had pulled some out. I am wondering if part of it was stress from us being away. We live in South Florida so chickens sometimes molt at weird months here since we barely have changing seasons.

Now she looks totally healthy again but still no eggs. I am sad as she was a very consistent egg layer for the last 2+ years. I have read Barred rocks can lay for up to 5 years.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Also, we have two new pullets who were completely separate from her during this time. They have a separate coop and feed but we have recently allowed them to free range the yard at the same time for a few hours a day.

Here’s a picture of her yesterday, you can see she still doesn’t have all her tail feathers View attachment 1300224 back.
UPDATE: She laid an egg today!! Yay!!! So happy

Back
Top Bottom