3D Modeling for Coops (& appliances)

Pics
4sqft in MN in the winter might be pushing it....how many birds do you have now and why do you want 40 or more?

I've got 27 now, culled down from 42. I live on a small farm, so have the space.

I'm not interested in getting into the egg business, but am interested in breeding to improve my flock. Long term goals of winter hardiness, proficient foraging, and predator-evasion. Just interested as a hobby.

Was talking yesterday that I may even cull down to where I only collect 6 or so eggs daily. My wife has a lot of family here, so we give away many eggs, but still have many more than we need.

Next winter I want to partially cover an outdoor run - make an effort to be sure they utilize outdoor space more. This winter they haven't been willing to walk on the snow, so getting them outside involves a fair bit of labor on my part.

6 eggs a day in what part of the year? Hahahaha!!
Sorry, am battling unrealistic customer expectation in this slow part of the year.
I have 20 pullets/hens and only got 4 eggs yesterday....but once spring is sprung may get up to 16 a day on average. Eggs are a somewhat seasonal food...with big ebbs and flows..depending on management.

What I've learned is that having separate coop areas, and run areas, is most beneficial when breeding.
Even just for replacement birds you need(IMO) at least 2 spaces to brood/grow out chicks....
.....if crossing multiple birds and/or breeds that can go up exponentially.

So don't think about just size, but flexibility in separating spaces and your access to them.
I planned one separate space, made with a temporary wall, and built in an extra human door to access it.
Was one of my best design decisions.....and now wish that space could be bigger(for my access) and that I had room for more separate spaces.

My egg count the last 3 days from my 9 pullets was 8, 3 and 7. Two eggs so far today and last I checked two more birds were on the nest.

We have neighbors who live line of sight, who have about 10 birds (even mix of 2 year old birds and pullets), and they claim they have not had any eggs for nearly a month. The only thing that differs between them and us is the housing where they live. Mine are in a Woods coop, with lots of air and light (plus ours are allowed out in the prison yard to run around most days) and theirs are confined to a run, and the coop area where they roost does not have much, if any light.

If housing is the only difference, as seems to be the case, then that says a lot about the importance of housing, at least if you want healthy, producing birds.

My egg count the last 3 days from my 9 pullets was 8, 3 and 7. Two eggs so far today and last I checked two more birds were on the nest.

We have neighbors who live line of sight, who have about 10 birds (even mix of 2 year old birds and pullets), and they claim they have not had any eggs for nearly a month. The only thing that differs between them and us is the housing where they live. Mine are in a Woods coop, with lots of air and light (plus ours are allowed out in the prison yard to run around most days) and theirs are confined to a run, and the coop area where they roost does not have much, if any light.

If housing is the only difference, as seems to be the case, then that says a lot about the importance of housing, at least if you want healthy, producing birds.
Big if....Woods is a great design but ....feed, breed, and age can have a huge difference.

Half of my birds are older, 2yo and couple 3yo and the rest are 10mo, several of the pullets are molting.
All are EE and Welsummer mix, none of which are prolific layers.

What breed and ages are the birds you have Howard...and your neighbors, which you've already stated are older??

Their older birds include RIR, PR's and a remnant Delaware or two. These birds all molted about 2 months ago. I would not expect much from them for a while.

Their pullets are SLW's, a New Hampshire and a coupler EE's. Their pullets are a few weeks older than mine are. These guys are their slackers.

My birds are SLW, RIR and one New Hampshire.

These are all feed store birds, but mine came from a different store that sells from a different hatchery, so they have different parent stock.

They use a different feed than I do, but both sets of birds are on layer ration with OS and grit free choice.

Yes, there are these differences, but in my mind, the main difference is in their housing.

Ah, I've found my people...

I too am using Sketchup, but this is my first attempt at architecture, so I'm going to learn alot here. I've mostly been doing 3D modeled costume props and selling prints on shapeways.com.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/silverscreenstyle

I posted a design earlier, and someone posted about the Woods design, and I gotta say, I'm thinking it is a good idea. I have a long thin lot and the chicken area will be 30x75, so a rectangular design with South exposure the woods offers is perfect for my orientation :)

Once the snow thaws here and I can get my lot in good shape, I'll finally be able to get my chicks! Like you, Wesley, I'm more interested in the breeding than in eggs, so I can see myself having a flock of 40ish and not needing the eggs as much.

My first attempt at designing a coop. I'm wanting to design so that I have less cutting to do and have very little lumber parts left over.

Last edited:

I too am using Sketchup, but this is my first attempt at architecture, so I'm going to learn alot here. I've mostly been doing 3D modeled costume props and selling prints on shapeways.com.

I posted a design earlier, and someone posted about the Woods design, and I gotta say, I'm thinking it is a good idea. I have a long thin lot and the chicken area will be 30x75, so a rectangular design with South exposure the woods offers is perfect for my orientation :)

Once the snow thaws here and I can get my lot in good shape, I'll finally be able to get my chicks! Like you, Wesley, I'm more interested in the breeding than in eggs, so I can see myself having a flock of 40ish and not needing the eggs as much.

My first attempt at designing a coop. I'm wanting to design so that I have less cutting to do and have very little lumber parts left over.
Wow you have a 3d printer!?? ...and can can print to it from sketchup?
How cool is that!
I commented on your design thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1155688/please-evaluate-my-coop-design

ok so I looked at the link... cool but how about boba fett? I did not see any props for him? I need a weebly blaster in a bad way.LOL

Scott

ok so I looked at the link... cool but how about boba fett? I did not see any props for him? I need a weebly blaster in a bad way.LOL

Scott

Haha, well, you know, there are tons of dudes out there modeling and printing armor and prop guns, but most of the female modelers are doing jewelry and stuff. I haven't found anyone else doing Star Wars props for Padme Amidala, maybe some Princess Leia stuff, Rey's staff, etc., but for the most part I've found a niche that no one is touching. My goal is to model every costume prop piece from tiny buttons to huge headdresses for Padme Amidala. I'm sure someone out there has done all of Boba's stuff, better than I could :)

Back
Top Bottom