4 Chickens... A rooster among them?

DiveyChickens

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
We're only months into backyard chicken-ing, and learning a ton as we go. We bought 3 Golden Comet hens when they were 18 weeks old, and they are daily layers... sometimes two a day each. So, after we thought we had the hang of it, I decided to go to Tractor Supply and buy 4 more for the flock. They're Easter Eggers that we bought as day-old chicks 12 weeks ago. The person at TS swore that the girls were sexed, so we chose 4 from the pullet selection.

It was only later when I read that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to sex day olds. As they've grown, we've noticed distinct differences in them. I understand some variation can happen between hens, but I'm not entirely sure what to look for. So... pictures.

Below is Goldie Hen... She (we think) has no puffy cheeks like the other three. She is almost a solid gold color, and a bit smaller than the others. She has bright red rings around her eyes, where the others don't.

goldie.jpg

Next are Anne Peckins and Pam Beakly (as well as Donna's butt in the picture) They are all nearly identical in size, color, and other features like the chipmunk cheeks and fanned tail feathers.
Anne Peckins.jpg
pam beackly.jpg

Can anyone help to at least let me know if we have a roo or two (or three). Hopefully the Chick Inn will remain a sorority full of egg layers, but I seriously have no clue.

Thank you!!

We're only months into backyard chicken-ing, and learning a ton as we go. We bought 3 Golden Comet hens when they were 18 weeks old, and they are daily layers... sometimes two a day each. So, after we thought we had the hang of it, I decided to go to Tractor Supply and buy 4 more for the flock. They're Easter Eggers that we bought as day-old chicks 12 weeks ago. The person at TS swore that the girls were sexed, so we chose 4 from the pullet selection.

It was only later when I read that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to sex day olds. As they've grown, we've noticed distinct differences in them. I understand some variation can happen between hens, but I'm not entirely sure what to look for. So... pictures.

Below is Goldie Hen... She (we think) has no puffy cheeks like the other three. She is almost a solid gold color, and a bit smaller than the others. She has bright red rings around her eyes, where the others don't.

View attachment 2275145

Next are Anne Peckins and Pam Beakly (as well as Donna's butt in the picture) They are all nearly identical in size, color, and other features like the chipmunk cheeks and fanned tail feathers.
View attachment 2275151View attachment 2275153

Can anyone help to at least let me know if we have a roo or two (or three). Hopefully the Chick Inn will remain a sorority full of egg layers, but I seriously have no clue.

Thank you!!
You said 4, I only see three, but the ones I see are female.

Back
Top Bottom