4 legged chick Clover

Pics

Cecisflock

The Backyard Brahmas
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
Mmmm… how do i say this. I ordered 6 chicks from Cackle Hatchery, i was given 8! and one of them has 4 legs. I honestly don’t expect survival but it doesn’t seem to be in pain?? I’m not sure how I would tell… But I just don’t know what to do.

File_000 (4).jpeg
File_000 (3).jpeg

some more pictures of her- File_000 (5).jpeg File_000 (6).jpeg File_000 (4).jpeg

OK THE POST YOU'VE ALL WAITED FOR: She's fine. at 10-12 weeks we made a plan to amputate the limbs, she won't have a tail but that's ok. She listend to her heart and said it is def polymelia and not an absorbed twin. Our Clover may become a case study for Iowa State Veterinary though. That would be cool. The vet wanted to call the news station down but we declined. My father said evey single staff member came to see her and ohhhed and ahhhed. She's famous! :lau We are so happy right now you have no idea...

I saw a thread about a chick like this not too long ago. I think it might’ve been @OneMountainAcres that had a chick with four legs?

Yes that was me.... my Ripley

Here’s a thread about another four legged chick: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ripley-the-4-legged-chicken.1309218/. Definitely keep us posted if you can.

Thank you for posting the link! Ripley also had two extra legs, similar to yours though maybe not quite as much of them. She had 2 functioning vents though the one was much smaller and just kind of dribbled out. She lived to almost a year old and laid a lot of large brown eggs. Some days, 2 in a day but I'm pretty sure that's because the shape of her digestive track caused them to move slower coming out. She was a sweet girl and lived a great life while she was around. I believe she passed away due to complications with laying. In the link @RoostersAreAwesome posted, there's pictures of her a she grew as well as necropsy pictures after she passed away. Good luck with her! Just love her and treat her like any other chicken as long as she's around :)

Edited to add, Ripley was also a hatchery chick that I found in my batch from my local feed mill. I think she just blended in to the group since there were so many.

Back
Top Bottom